1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i want a bf but i'm only 13

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DragCloset1, Aug 10, 2015.

1. DragCloset1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I'm so young but I really want someone to talk to and to connect with. I have known that I am gay fir a long time but just how do I reach out to people in my community?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest googling "queer youth *your area*" and seeing if there are any LGBT youth groups around, not necessarily to find a boyfriend but to find a social group and people you can talk and relate to. You can connect with people in plenty more ways than romantic, especially at 13.

3. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It might also depend if you are out or not because having to go somewhere and not being to tell why, would be a no no in my family that's why i'm always lonely. and i feel the same way just wanting to talk to someone around our age but were the younger of the LGBT youth so there's not many people to talk with around us

4. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion 13 (of any orientation or gender) is too young to really date. But go make friends! Like someone else said try GsAs or youth centers for LGBT kids. You've got many years to find the man of your dreams! Most people don't have any serious relationships until they're in their late teens or early 20s. Don't listen to TV and think most people your age are having legit serious relationships! And who knows, maybe if you make some friends something will blossom into a relationship down the line.

5. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely. The first step to finding love is finding a friend.

6. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with all of the above. You need a friend, not a lover. 13 is too young to date but it'll be worth the wait.

7. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I beg to differ on the "too young to date". It also depends on maturity levels and stuff, but I'm thirteen, and happily with my girlfriend of nearly six months, and we've had a serious relationship that neither of us can see ending, and it's a healthy relationship too; we give each other space, but make an effort to see the other is happy, and we know physical boundaries, have other non-romantic close relationships. Thirteen isn't too young, but you should think about whether you're ready to put in the time, effort, and commitment that a serious and healthy relationship takes, and you should find a partner who does too.
    Going to LGBT youth groups and making friends is a good idea, and if transportation allows, you should go for it.
    A tip for finding a boyfriend though; you should get to know them first if you want a nice relationship, so I'd advise you to look for friends first, and see who you're interested in, and if it can turn into something good.
    :slight_smile:

8. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course another 13 year old won't think it's too young! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: not to insult you but when you get older you'll realize how young 13 really is. I was also a very mature 13 but even maturity doesn't make up for being such a young kid. I'm sure you have a nice relationship with yor girlfriend but it's kind of frightening how different you feel, think and behave from 13 to 16 to 18 to 20 and 25.

9. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The thing I'm seeing from your post is that you are lonely. You can't just want a boyfriend because you're lonely. No, it doesn't work that way. And even if it did, you shouldn't date right now. Stop wanting wanting wanting right now, just stop thinking about it. If you keep wanting one, it's not going to happen. One question I have is if you love yourself? Do you respect yourself? Do you see what you like on the outside and inside? If all of that is no, then you're not ready for a boyfriend. You MUST respect and love yourself before you can date. Otherwise you'll be like every other person who dates because they feel lonely. No, you need a purpose for dating. Don't just date someone, because you want to feel handsome or beautiful when they say that you are. Yeah, you want to be loved and touched by another human being, but you can't do that until you are comfortable with yourself. Right now I would say that you are too young. In my school, there are so many people who date for the same reason as you. You do not want to end up like one of those girls/boys who date every guy in your school. Please take this response into consideration.

10. Keahi

Friendship first is always a good idea. It's never fun when you realize the person you've been dating for the past X months, gotten attached to, etc. is actually kind of a jerk. It's even less fun if they turn out to be the vindictive breakup type. And of course schools can be hives of gossip.

When it comes to dating, though, I highly - strenuously - recommend avoiding anyone more than a year (or at most two) different in age till you get out of your teens. No matter how mature you may be, older people interested in dating you are pretty much always trouble. Be wary of people online - an online relationship that stays online can be a relatively safe way to explore, but many people simply aren't who they claim to be, and some will pressure you for personal and contact information that you should absolutely NOT give out. And, of course, if you choose to experiment sexually, do your research. Make sure you look out for your physical health and well-being, of course, but also be sure to protect the privacy of your personal images, and be aware of legal risks and considerations for yourself and your partner(s).

But back to friendship, yes? Youth groups are a good idea, as has already been said. School clubs are another options, as is volunteering. Volunteering with elders or for an organization like Special Olympics is often explicitly social, but anything you enjoy and can do with others can work. Volunteering for a well-chosen political campaign or party can help you meet liberal-minded people if you're not out enough to feel comfortable in an LGBT group.

As for more general "people to talk to" ... School counselors can be good or bad depending how well your personality and theirs fit (or don't), but if your school has one or more, it's worth stopping by and introducing yourself - they can be good people to pose this kind of question to as well. (If you're concerned about confidentiality, just ask what their policy is - they've got one and can tell you.) Teachers can also be surprisingly friendly and are often happy to share advice, although they're sometimes a bit on the busy side and may not always hold themselves to the same standards of confidentiality that a counselor will.

If all else fails, there's always a good book, and remember, things will get easier every year. (You'll know more people, more of them will be out, they'll be more mature, etc., etc.)

Oh, and don't share your passwords. Ever.

#10 Keahi, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  11. DragCloset1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank You, All for the great advice. I'll definitely go to an LGBT Youth Group near me and find friends

12. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Eh, I'm sorry if my response sounded too harsh D: I don't want you to feel bad in any way. I've never dated myself, so I can't really help you in a way. This is just whatI have learned.