1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long and confusing 'I can't tell if he likes me back'

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lokii, Aug 11, 2015.

1. lokii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok, basically I have this crush on my best friend (who is also a guy) and I think he may like me back but I'm not sure. (This story is quite long so if you're not one for long stories, you may want to stop reading)
    We have been best friends for about 3 years now and are both now 18, we are in the same friendship group of 5 guys, all of whom are extremely close with each other. Recently, starting from beginning of summer, I have started to develops feelings for my best friend. Me and him have been hanging out a lot this summer break, for 2 and a half months the longest time we spent away from each other was 3 days, we just seem to love each other's company.
    We were invited, as a group, to my friends house in Barbados. There were 11 of us and it was a really good trip, but there I think I started to notice that he was flirting with me, but I'm not sure if I was looking too much into nothing. We would catch eye contact and hold it for longer than usual (This happened before and after the trip too) and we would often sit together and our legs would touch and we wouldn't move them away. Also, there were a few evenings where we would be lying in bed and one of us would rest our head on the others shoulder or he would put his leg over mine and keep it there. However, the one thing I found the most significant is how one evening, we were watching a movie and he put his arm on my shoulder with his hand dangling down, almost reaching for my hand. So I decided to slowly move my hand up to where his was, and he moved his down until we met. We locked fingers and held each other, all without looking at one another. To me, it seemed like a romantic moment. Later that night, we were sitting next to each other and he started making little circles with his fingers on my upper arm, but subtlety so no one else would see. Up until this point, I'd had my suspicions but I still didn't know if he was gay or straight, but quite far into the holiday, we sat down with each other and both confessed that we were bi (no one else knows), but after that we've hardly ever mentioned it again and the times I have tried to he reacted awkwardly.
    We returned from the holiday and continued spending time together, however we haven't been as forward as we were then with a few exceptions. We talk so frequently that a day without speaking/texting/snapchatting seems like forever (for me at least, I don't know how he feels but I assume the same as if we haven't spoken in a while, he'll contact me first). However, at certain points in the summer we have both gotten off with girls, I don't know why considering I don't care about anyone but him, but I don't know if that's the same for him.
    There are a few smaller things that make me think that he may like me such as:
    One day where a group of us were smoking up in a park and I was lying down with my eyes closed and when I opened them he was staring at me and he quickly averted his gaze as soon as I opened my eyes. Also, we went on another group holiday to Belgium and one night there were about 20 of us playing a drinking game in a hotel, I was lying on my bed and he comes and lies down on top of me and we stay like that for at least an hour and we were kinda cuddling. At the same time we were playing with each other's fingers out of view of anyone else. Finally, before I left to go on my family holiday (I'm not seeing him for 1 month and a half now) he was at mine with a couple of others and he kept telling me I'm his number one.
    The issue is, I don't know if I'm mistaking signs of a best friendship for romantic feelings - naturally he is quite a touchy person, like I'm not the only one he would put his legs on, but he has never held hands or done anything else like this with another guy. A lot of times where I feel like I'm making a subtle move or something (like moving my leg to touch his) I feel like he tries to distance himself, but sometimes he doesn't. I feel like I'm also the type of person who looks for patterns and meaning in things that don't necessarily have meaning (this goes for both our flirting and his distancing himself to my flirting. However I may have conjured up these thoughts in my head, but I just don't know). If this is of interest, he has never done anything other then make out with a girl and doesn't often show interest.
    Sorry for blabbering on, but I'm just sooo confused! The issue is as we're best friends in a very close-knit group, if I confront him about this and it turns out it he doesn't have romantic feelings for me, it would be so awkward and ruin the group dynamic, which I don't want to happen.
    Thank you so much for reading!! Any help on what to do would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think he might be into you, holding hands and looking & looking away sound like a give away. The only way i could see different is if he had a stronger friendship with you than anyone else in the group therefore only holding hands and more physical with you. Another reason he could be "Distancing" himself is he is more worried of people figuring out his sexuality than you are which might makes sense, only touching muscles or snuggling when out of sight.

Hope that helped Good Luck(*hug*)

#2 Gamer4now, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015