1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents Asking about queer opinions

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by asjfdio999asfh3, Aug 11, 2015.

1. asjfdio999asfh3

Hello yall,

Thanks in advance for reading and helping me out:

I'm going to be seeing my family soon, and there's a good chance my queerphobic parents will talk about queer issues. For my sanity, I don't lie about my feelings or stance on queer issues, I just avoid the subject. What can I do to avoid these topics without seeming too suspicious if they ask me directly? Is there an honest answer that is vague and/or makes followup questions about my gender/orientation unlikely?

Thanks Again!

2. Lyana

Hi (and welcome to EC!),

I played the pronoun game with my parents long enough; however, I was always vocal in my support for LGBT issues. That never led to any suspicions about my orientation. Frankly, even after I came out, my mother still likes to believe I'm straight. In my experience, if your parents are slightly phobic, they might not even entertain the idea that their child is anything but cis and straight. I think you might be safer than you think, so try not to worry too much.

Queer issues do come up a lot in conversation (marriage, celebrities coming out, etc), and if you really are not comfortable defending your stance, you could stay silent and pretend to be captivated by something else (like your food, or a book). You could also say, "I don't see what the big deal is," which will probably lead to them explaining exactly how much of a big deal it is, thus saving you from having to speak for a little while. Or "I don't see the point in discussing this, it's not like there's anything we can do about it," which could have similar effects.

I feel the best solution would probably be to divert their attention and change the subject, if at all possible. They shouldn't even notice you're doing it, and you will feel much more comfortable.