1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mother says I talk too much about my gender identity

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by XxSunXDragonxX, Aug 12, 2015.

1. XxSunXDragonxX

My mom says I talk too much about my gender identity

She thinks I talk about it too much, but it's important to me. I have no one else to talk about it to. I always feel stupid for bringing it up now. She supportive, but she just doesn't want to hear it most of the time. How do I handle this? :confused:

I don't know if I'm really talking too much, or she is just insensitive. :eusa_sile

#1 XxSunXDragonxX, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Her reluctance to hear about it often could be an indicator that she may still be getting used to it. I suggest give her some more time and perhaps talk to her about the reason you need to talk about it. Perhaps she doesn't know how you want her to respond to you. Do you want her as a listener? To give advise? Most importantly tell her you at least want her to be there for you.

In this way she may become more comfortable and understand that the reason you want to talk about it is because you are figuring stuff out and/or it is an important part of you that you want her to understand.

3. XxSunXDragonxX

Well I DO tell her that I talk a bunch 'cause I'm still figuring things out, but it makes no difference. :confused:

4. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats kind of similar to the situation I'm in. I told my parents I was questioning and it went okay (they were really supportive but they said that they thought I was straight sooo). I'm too uncomfortable to talk about me being LGBTQ with my parents but I talk about LGBTQ matters quite often. And my Mum has started getting a little irritated with me because she says that I keep going on about it. So now I often don't bring it up even when I really want to talk about it.
    Unfortunately I think that there isn't much that you can do. If your friends are more comfortable about it then maybe you should talk to them, or maybe you should tell your Mum how you feel (not just that you're figuring stuff out, but how you feel about her wanting you to stop talking about it). :slight_smile:

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you want your mom to do about it? For many people, they just don't think about gender identity at all or rarely, so they may not have answers or understand what's the big deal.

You might consider writing your thoughts in a notebook so that you don't have to always rely on your mom.