1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My lesbians gf is going to marry a man!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nattie, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Nattie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi what should I say? My girlfriend is a closet lesbian who will be marrying a man on Feb 2015 for her family and her social environment. I have been together with my gf about 2 years. Since the beginning of the relationship I had known that she has pretended boyfriend and I don't really care about it. She and her bf are together about 2 years too. She started dating him one month before she met me on lesbian website. She always said to me that she needs him to pretend that she is straight to her parent who are very homophobic and kept saying gay people are disgusting. We are Asian oriented ( Thai) so she has been taught to follow her parent's wishes. She is also scared to admit to everyone that she is lesbian. She said that she is terrified to come out to her friends and family. She doesn't have any best friend but a regular friends who she try to stay connect and hang out occasionally and her social circle is only interest in her beneficial gain. The man she is marrying is the son of an influential man in Thai coup party. So now everybody is surrounding her so they would be able to expand their connection in Thai political group and other high profile people such as son of diplomat or head of ministry of foreign affairs. She said that I am the only one she trusts and love. She is doing the marriage for her family reputation. She can never like man. I am trying to understand her and accept this problem but it hurts so much. I am jealous of how perfect he is and how he gains my girlfriend family support because they r acceptable straight couple while I have to hide and pretend to be her best friend in front of her family. I also own a few businesses and I think I'm better than him. It's just that I am a woman and not a man. She knew that I am deeply in pain cos I vent my stress and frustration at her. We fought a lot. I want to stop and walk away but I love her so much. I do want to have future with her. I don't know how long I can go on. I know she is doing her best for our relationship too. She endures my mood swing and doing everything she can to please me. She said she is not scared to get divorced. Next year she will be moving in with him and our relationship won't be the same. She is confused and I am also confused. I don't know what to do. She has me as her only best friend and I also have her as my only best friend too. Should I wait and see until she can't handle being married with a man? Sorry for my bad english. She did tried to declined the marriage proposal by telling her parent and her bf.
    She said she doesn't want to get married to her parent but like how Asian parent do is both my gf's parent and bf's parent arrange it without my gf's consent. I don't know what to do and very confused.

2. KayJay

While it may be hard to hear this you may be best to walk away, at least from wanting to be with her. Something like this will never work out in your favour, unfortunately.

If your girlfriend is going to get married to a man, there is no good from sticking around. You can try but eventually the husband or someone else will find out and your girlfriend will be outed outside of her own terms which makes her situation a whole lot more stressful. By the sounds of how things are there it'll basically ruin her life, possibly in a much worse way than just coming out before marriage would.

I think though that the focus here shouldn't be about her but on you. This isn't a healthy relationship for you, you've committed a lot of time to someone who seems to really want to cover up their sexuality. You are focusing a lot on her which wouldn't be bad if there was a potential for a future but it seems at this point that's a far fetched dream. Ending what is between you guys romantically will open you up to possibly meeting new people who you could have a future with. It may be best to stop seeing each other in a romantic way and remain platonic friends, as you seem to value each other as friends and not just lovers. Hopefully by doing that you will be able to offer her some support through this really tough time.

It is really awful especially that she is being forced to get married, although you did mention in the early part of your post she is somewhat willing to do this to protect herself from coming out. She will eventually need to come out if she wants to live her life how she wants and marrying a man will just push her further into the closet. Unfortunately if you stay with her this may enable her to continue living in the closet and living a fake life. You should probably talk to her about all this in detail because her thoughts may help you figure out what the best plan is.

I sincerely wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

#2 KayJay, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  3. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I'm sorry for what's happening for you. Before I'm going to say anything else...

Typical Asian parents, bleh..

Option 1: Straight up refusing the marriage, facing ostracization.

Option 2: Living in a loveless marriage.

Both suck. Here is my thoughts on option 2. She said she was not scared of divorce. To me this is the biggest contradiction. From what I read, she's not the type to disobey her parents. If they arrange this marriage in the first place, why would they approve a divorce? What then? This is a stalling tactic.

Let assume she choose you and in the worst case possible, her parents disown her. Can you two support yourself financially? Is there any gay rights organization to reach out to? Ultimately, the decision is up to her. You may try to convince her, but a big problem is that she's scared of coming out. There's little you can do about that. If you guys come up with a concrete plan of when to get a divorce, then maybe option 2...

Option 3: Let her go. It's hard.

They haven't got married, right? Better make a decision before then.

4. Nattie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for all your advices. We had a lot of serious conversation but it didn't help to ease the tension or help to resolve our problem. We have come to a point of breaking up but we couldn't entirely cut out our communication. We think that we will try solve this problem step by step. The real problem is her mother. Last night I stayed overnight at her house and this morning I ask her to drive me to work. Every morning she always drive her brother to work but it's just this morning she has to send me. Her mother called her and said can u stop being a lesbian? Ur friend come and stay every week and have sex everyday. I can't accept u being a lesbian. I hate lesbian. It's disorder. Does ur boyfriend know that ur friend stay with you almost every night? When can u stop playing lesbian? I will bark into ur room one day to see u guy have sex. It's disgusting. It seem me and my gf are in the losing battle. Her mother won't accept us even she knows that her daughter is a lesbian and she is doing the marrige on purpose. My gf has never been out of her parent sight. It's so hard to see me and her in this unfair situation. Can u really leave her if u know that she is also in so much pain too? I am her only best friend as well. We decide to keep our distant. I wish my gf has more courage to face her problem and I wish she fight for us more. However I do understand her that if she chooses me she would lose her family which she cherish the most. Her family is her life and lesbian is who she is too. I don't know what to do and hope that God and time will help. Thank you. I am also not sure of what to do. My head feels so numb.

5. Really

Will your gf be expected to care for her parents as they age?

This is a very good video which might help her and ultimately them rethink the situation. She's in control. Not them.

Coming Out To Your Parents | Dan Savage: American ... - YouTube
    http://youtu.be/TxAa2Hd7q8k