1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell my dad I'm dating someone?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by grungeteen, Aug 13, 2015.

1. grungeteen

I got my first boyfriend and I don't know how to tell my dad because he has always been joking around about boyfriends and stuff but I don't know how he will react when it happens for real. He knows the boy I'm dating and has said that he seems like a nice guy so im not worried about my dad hating him or something. He is 13 and going into 8th Grade/ Year 9 while I'm 14 and going into Year 10/ 9th Grade/ Freshman Year. Are we too young? That's always worrying me aswell....

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

As for the too young part, that's really up to you. Lots of people date at your age, and lots of people don't date until their older. It's really what you feel comfortable with.
    Are you ready for a relationship? There's really no answer for that because it depends on the nature of the relationship. Don't let it get any more serious than you're ready for and at your age I'd say you're definitely not ready for sex. Remember, if you're not comfortable with something then don't make yourself do it. And don't do anything just to make your boyfriend happy. What's most important in a relationship is that you love yourself first and you stay true to yourself and what you're ready for. If you're not ready for something, talk to your boyfriend about it.

As for the dad part, I guess all you can do is tell him. The first time I got a boyfriend, I was really nervous to tell my parents but I just knew I had to do it. I mean, they know you're gunna have a first relationship at some point, right? You just have to break that first barrier of telling your dad. The fact that your dad already likes him is good. And if your dad is joking about boyfriends that's also a good sign. It means your dad isn't afraid of the whole boyfriend subject. From what you said, I think he'll probably react better than you think. And age doesn't matter that much here for you, but for your dad the boyfriend being younger might make it a bit easier to accept? But anyway I'm sure it'll be fine. You want to keep a good relationship with your dad and the best way to do that is to just be honest. I'm sure he'll be fine with it and even if he's apprehensive at first, that's normal for parents and he'll probably be fine once he gets used to the idea and knows that you'll be responsible.

Best of luck!

#2 bubbles123, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015