1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do when supporting a friend with social anxiety triggers my own?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by fern96, Aug 15, 2015.

1. fern96

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. I've always suffered from anxiety and recently recovered from a severe bout of depression (by 'recovered' I mean that rather than being classed as severe, I'm now just moderately depressed), and was told by my doctor that my anxiety was probably a large factor in my depression and that I should be careful to monitor it, as it often leads to depression, which is IME much worse than anxiety on its own

I can now go to bars and order drinks and ask waiters questions, which I couldn't do before - I am generally not extremely socially anxious anymore. However, a friend of mine, my best friend, suffers from it too, and is reluctant to do anything other than entertain it, meaning that when I go out with her, I have to tailor events towards her if I want her to come - we always go to the same place at the same time. I don't mind doing this, but it stops others from doing what they want, me included, and I'm starting to think i wait around for people too much. It's incredibly selfish, but talking to her about her social anxiety - walking her through it - is often not just socially frustrating but makes me relive my own social anxiety. Now that I know she has it, i am the only person she talks to about it, and i don't want to pull the rug from underneath her bjt it's stressing me out. I find it difficult to confide in anyone at all, and I'd feel embarrassed if my hypothetical sole confidant told me they didn't want to talk about my issues anymore

I tend to respond to others' actions with introspection - I feel inadequate when my friends do well, for example. It's horrible and childish but i can't stop it. I'm wondering whether me not being able to cope with my friend's anxiety is just another example of me being self-centered, or if it's something that I should stay away from for the sake of my own mental health.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are not being self-centered because your mental health is just important as your friend's. I'm reminded of those airline safety demos where they say "put on your oxygen mask first before helping others", lol.

I think the first step would be to encourage her to meet with a professional counselor/therapist, and you might try to see others like close family or friends she can talk to about this so you aren't always being put on the spot.