1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first date with awesome guy help!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by myexperiences, Aug 16, 2015.

1. myexperiences

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First date ever and with a dude! We're going to a corn maze and beforehand a picnic. He's been doing the talking, but how do I help out with the picnic (including beer), or am I expected to? Should I ask him? He's more experienced. Help me!

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience there aren't any hard and fast rules for same sex dating regarding who does what like there are in straight dating (whether they are actually observed any more in straight dating is another question). So it's kind of all up for negotiation and at least in my experience most gay men are pretty open to the negotiation. You should ask--"hey, can I bring anything?" In another situation you might say "I'd be happy to pay for my ticket." If you are the one who was asked I think it's polite to make such an offer. It is also, I think, generally polite for the asker to decline the offer and in that instance, in my opinion, the askee must accept that. There is nothing more tiresome than trying to do something nice for someone and having them object over and over. Again, just in my opinion, the askee should never offer to pay for or plan for the asker. In the absence of such a discussion I think you should always assume that the person who asked will make all the arrangements and pay for everything. If you choose to do a gift, just like with a hostess gift, it should be something that is a gift for the other person, not expressly a contribution to the evening--a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer is fine, an unsolicited plate of hors d'oeuvres is not.

Wow, I just read through that and realized I was wrong--apparently I think there are a lot of rules. But set all that aside and just go and have a good time. I'm assuming from what you said that he asked you out. If that is the case let him drive. Just bring your most charming, real self and trust that that's all you need to contribute to the evening. If it goes well, you can drive for the next date.