1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Straight" Friend Treats Me Weirdly

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by invisiblecities, Aug 18, 2015.

1. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi everyone. I wanted to ask your advice regarding a problem I have with a friend of mine. I started a grad program a year ago and with it, a graduate assistantship. One of my classmates and co-workers is a straight-identified married man a year or two older than me. We became fast friends, but things have been weird from the beginning.

The first time I encountered him one-on-one, I was looking up from my work and he was just standing by the stairwell door staring at me. I waved, he made a face and rushed through the door. A day or two later, I was in my office. He walked over, but the minute I looked up, he did a 180 and left. I thought, "Is he shy and nervous around me?"

Then he started visiting my office regularly. He always had a question to ask. Sometimes it was the same one as before. A co-worker finally told him he didn't need excuses if he wanted to come hang out with me.

Then I noticed he would stare at me during class. I thought I was losing it. But I mentioned this to a friend, and the moment I did, she started noticing it. She said it happened throughout class (and at events for our program). One time I think he was even checking out my rear as I bent over to put my backpack down. Every time I caught him, he'd jerk his head away. He'd also mimic my body language. I'd even intentionally switch my leg positions or rest my head on my hand to see if he'd follow, and he almost always did.

Things got weird at the end of the fall semester. There was the annual Christmas party, and he was flirting with me more than usual. Someone asked where his wife was (he hadn't brought her to a single event so far) and he said he "didn't know it was allowed." At the end of the night, as everyone started to leave, he said, "We should go out for drinks." A friend said, "Sure--but where?" He said, "I know a gay bar, but I feel like we'd need a gay guy to go there." I'm the only (openly) gay guy there, so he was clearly trying to get me to go without having the courage to ask me. Feeling tokenized, I left. However, he apparently got rip-roaringly drunk that night, never messaged his wife once, told a friend he'd gotten married young and still had a lot of questions about himself. Then when he got home, he apparently got yelled at by his wife who was worried about "another woman" and demanded to be brought around more. Since then, she's made several appearances at events.

However, his strange behavior continued. Friends said he talks about me all the time when I'm not around and that he'll relate every topic of conversation back to me. A buddy said during class whenever I talk, he'll lean every which way so he can see me. He started texting me regularly (even took a pic of gay scene in a book and sent it to me). We bunked together on a trip and I woke up to him staring at me from his bed one morning. On the same trip, he worried about me getting cold and had me wear his jacket. When we go out with our friends, he'll often cut people off to sit next to me. As I'm sitting there, I'll feel him draping his arm across the back of my chair. Once, while he did that, he even turned towards me and put his feet up underneath my chair, like he was locking me in some kind of pseudo-embrace.

On a couple of occasions when I've been talking to him, I'll notice him put the leg closest to me up on the desk in front of him and drape his arm over his lap. I think he's trying to cover his "excitement."

Is this normal/platonic behavior for a straight guy? The problem is with all this attention and affection dumped on me, I've started to have my own feelings. Which means that the more he does this, the more I hurt, because he's with someone and sometimes I have to see them together. I'm not OK with him treating me like this because it's not leading anywhere. If it were, I would be. I've tried avoiding him but a) our program is way too small b) he seeks me out. Case in point: our program had an event at a bar. The minute I entered, he saw me and his face lit up. I went and hid in the corner. The second the announcements had been made, he sought me out. In fact, a straight buddy said he completely abandoned their convo right in the middle of it to come over to me. He pulled up his chair so close that I couldn't move without touching him. He talked to me in a weird voice that my straight buddy said he doesn't talk to other people in. ***His wife was at the bar when this happened.*** They are completely a-physical together. She'll touch him on occasion and he just sits there totally rigid. Often, they don't even sit near each other.

What do I do? What do I say? How do I get past someone who keeps forcing himself into my life?

#1 invisiblecities, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. Lindsey23

Hmm, well, no this is not normal behavior for a straight guy. He must be bi or gay the way he's acting. It sounds to me like he never explored his sexuality. He married young and now he feels stuck in a straight relationship that he regrets. (I might be projecting here because I'm in a straight marriage) He might want a relationship with you to help him figure out if he's bi or gay. When you're gay in a straight marriage it's very hard to leave. There's a certain comfort in it because society views it as normal and someone in that position likely has a lot of internalized homophobia. You want to be sure you're gay before you leave your marriage.

What bothers me about this is how indirect he's being. And all that staring sounds creepy to be honest. Knowing that you're gay should make it easy for him to approach you privately to discuss his feelings and gauge your reaction.

He either wants to have a relationship with you to verify in his own mind that he's gay so that he can leave his wife or he wants to stay married and have a relationship on the side. I can see how neither would be appealing to an openly gay man.

I think you should talk to him about his behavior and tell him how it makes you feel. If you want him to stop you need to be direct with him. He probably really wants to come out to you regardless of the outcome. Some people want to be asked.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty sure he's throwing out every. possible. indication. that he wants something from you. Given the "got married young and still have questions" thing while drunk, I think it's safe to say the guy is probably a poof, or at least bi.

You want to tread carefully, though. He might jump at the chance if you asked him out, but you need to consider the ethics of the situation. He's married, and his wife is obviously protective/jealous. (She probably, at least unconsciously, suspects that something is up). So I'd suggest you put yourself in her shoes, and not do anything that you'd feel uncomfortable about if you were her. In other words, if it were me, if he wants to make something happen with me, I'd tell him he needs to talk to his wife first, and make sure that actually happens. No "Oh, I'll tell her next week", or it will never happen and you'll be the "other woman."

Also, it can be rocky being with someone just coming out, or just dipping their toe in the water. So be sure you're prepared for that... it can lead to heartbreak if he chickens out and goes back to the wife, or decides he isn't ready for a relationship, or wants to play the field. So take care of yourself in the process as well.

4. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks, guys. I agree with what you're saying.

It seemed like this was headed in the direction of him coming out or making a move or something--up until the wife expressed her concerns and suspicions and told him to start bringing her along because she doesn't have any friends.

Now it's just this constant back-and-forth whiplash. Staring, texting, arm over my shoulder one minute--referring to his "straightness," talking about how his marriage is "fine," remarking about how he wants children the next (is it weird that this guy constantly refers to himself as straight? I don't feel like any other straight men I know do that because it's just understood with them).

I imagine there's a lot of denial on his end paired with shame/guilt about his wife. They moved across the country for him to be here and she's supporting his broke behind while he tries to complete our grad program.

I don't think I expect him to come out, but I refuse to put up with his behavior anymore. You don't get to touch me or drain me of all my emotional energy if you're not my boyfriend, you know? I think my measure of self-care is distancing myself from this guy--it's just about finding a way of distancing myself that he respects.

My best visual metaphor for our situation:
    [I run from him. He chases after me. He grabs me. "I'm straight!" He stares longingly into my eyes. "You can't have me." He gives me a passionate smooch. "My wife is nice and my marriage is fine." He locks me in a tender embrace. I stand there immobile, wearing an uncomfortable expression, utterly confused.]

5. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, this is a really interesting situation invisiblecities.

Do you consider yourselves friends? -- not boyfriends, but just friends? If so, and you really want to gauge his intentions and you are not going to ask him explicitly, why not go out as friends to see a movie or go for a bite to eat? I don't think this is overstepping the bounds as long as you define it as what it is, friends, and his wife knows. Would that be weird? Do you think you would be able to learn more about his situation honestly? If he is really into you, he may just be willing to confide in you alone.

His suggestion of going out for drinks at a gay bar sounds like a red flag to me as who knows what could happen if either of you get drunk. Not a good situation to put yourself in with him being married and all.

He probably doesn't feel safe talking about this without being sure his "secret" can be kept. Heck, I'm anxious about coming out, so I can see where he's coming from. I'm not even in a relationship.

6. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's hard to tell if I consider us friends or not. I feel as though he's had these feelings pretty much from the beginning of our relationship. In fact, what engendered the friendship was all the weird visits he'd pay to me at work and all the conversations we had as a result.

He'd told me earlier this summer that he wanted to go out for drinks to discuss some political issues, but he seems to have either forgotten or chickened out. On the trip we went to I felt as though he acted boyfriend-y towards me. He insisted on buying me drink at the airport bar (had his arm over the back of my chair while we sat there), offered me has jacket so I wouldn't get cold, and stared at me weirdly while I was asleep (at least I assume he was, because when I woke up he was just lying there grinning at me). At night when we were sitting in our beds (he was on his laptop and I was watching TV) I saw him keep glancing at me out of the corner of my eye. And on the last night we were there, although we both wore PJ bottoms most nights, he stripped down to just his underwear. We were at the convention center with some other friends and he said he was going off to explore, yet he just kept walking back and forth around the convention center as we prepared to leave. When we finally did leave, my friends said they thought he stayed and was wandering around in hope that I would go with him.

So there's what he says and what he does, which seem to be in direct conflict with each other. Although what he says isn't too convincing. The most affectionate thing I've ever heard him say about his wife is "I like (name). She's nice."

Anyway, I'm all up for having a one-on-one with him, but he needs to ask me. I'm worried that if I show any interest in him, even platonically, he's going to spin this as it being a one-way street and me being into him just because I'm the out gay dude and there's already this trope to borrow on of gay men having unrequited crushes on straight guys. But he's the one the weird behavior has been coming from all along and everyone has witnessed it.

Y'all are so helpful. I'm glad I came here and you're helping me out. Thanks!

7. heythere999

Let me tell it to you straight up. He likes you, he wants to explore his sexuality with you, but is too scared. The fact that he got married when he knows deep down that he isn't straight and wants to try things with guys and flirts with gay men should raise giant red flags in your head already.

He's going to **** you over. Hard. I promise you. Start ignoring him now and just forget about it.

#7 heythere999, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  8. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Throughout that whole post my mind kept going back and forth from that guy's really sweet to that guy's really creepy.

In the end though, it sounds like this man is beginning to explore his sexuality but is scared. He likes you, though it doesn't sound like it's serious/ long term. He will either move on once he more fully understands and excepts his sexuality, but if not, in the end you may have to sit him down and talk it out with him. Who knows you might be able to help him come to terms with his sexuality.

Plus what straight guy "knows a good gay bar". He he blatant give away. :grin:

#8 Nekobi, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  9. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Ahaha THIS.

10. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've already hurt over this. I just don't know how to shake him off. We work and go to school together, and there aren't many other people in our program to help me hide. I have to constantly be around him and it's hard to figure out what to do to get him to stop making these advances. Best I can discern is to call him out on the weirdness of what he does in the middle of him doing it (so I have tangible evidence) and hopefully when other people are around. He won't want other people thinking that he's gay, so maybe he'll start restricting any behavior that seems to point to it.

11. guitar

As the others have said: this is not normal behavior at all. I can see quite a bit of him in myself ~5 years ago when I was closeted, in a relationship with a girl and repressing my sexuality. He's most certainly LGBT of one Shade or another.

If you ever get alone time with him, awkward though it may be, you might want to bring up his behavior and ask him what's really going on.

12. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think I'm going to have to. It's so hard. Sometimes I feel like he's digging in his heels with his relationship. He'll bring up his wife, talk about stuff they did, etc. On the other hand, he's never said he loves her or he misses her when she's away, he drinks a lot and eats a lot of junk food, he makes jokes about divorcing her, etc. Sometimes I think when he mentions her he's trying to convince himself to be faithful or that he likes her more than any of us.

Just hard for me to understand how someone who acts like he supports gay people and isn't particularly religious couldn't come to terms with his own sexuality.

13. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I'm going to have to. It's so hard. Sometimes I feel like he's digging in his heels with his relationship. He'll bring up his wife, talk about stuff they did, etc. On the other hand, he's never said he loves her or he misses her when she's away, he drinks a lot and eats a lot of junk food, he makes jokes about divorcing her, etc. Sometimes I think when he mentions her he's trying to convince himself to be faithful or that he likes her more than any of us.

Just hard for me to understand how someone who acts like he supports gay people and isn't particularly religious couldn't come to terms with his own sexuality.[/QUOTE]

To me it is obvious he likes you. He seems fascinated with you actually. Him talking about his marriage in a positive way, when he does do it and him taking about him being straight is his way of trying to convince himself that he is straight when he knows he is not. Always pay attention to the behavior. Words don't mean much in situations like these. With someone who is so clearly closeted and afraid to come out, think of it in terms of this---he cannot even come out to himself, how could he come out to you? He is struggling very clearly but he is definitely drawn to you...and you are openly gay and somewhat safe to him. He is around you a lot, knows your gay. He can be himself around you if that makes sense. My advice would to be stay away (and I know ur current school situation makes is difficult) but you will only get hurt here. I had a situation similar with a female friend of mine growing up who took every chance to proclaim her straightness but took every chance she could to flirt with me, be close to me, spend time with me. She taunted me for twenty years...and we had this long torturous emotional relationship. Everyone thought she was (and still is gay), she is married to a man and has kids. She made so many odd comments to me and even once asked me if we were in a relationship who would be the man and who would
    Be the woman...I ve never asked any of my other friends this or wondered this about any of my friends. She played games with me for such a long time and then broke my heart about two and a half years ago...it is not worth engaging with someone who is afraid of who they are. Protect your heart from further injury, talk to him, set boundaries that ur comfortable with and make sure that they are not crossed.

14. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think what pains me most about this situation is how unfair it is. I've never made any sort of move on this guy. All these overtures have been made by him. And yet I'm suffering. I feel like I'm being used to get whatever homoromantic/homoerotic urges he has out. And then he goes back to his privileged "straight" life and leaves me by myself to anguish over all this. I know I'm romanticizing his life, because he's probably confused and hurting deep down. Still, it makes me feel bitter the he has a doting wife who's supporting him financially while he's in this program, takes him to all these fun places, etc. while I'm stuck in my humble little apartment not going anywhere and just thinking about how messed up my life is. I didn't ask to be in this situation and I am anyway. :frowning2:

15. guitar

That "luxury" of being perceived as straight and "normal" is probably precisely the thing that's keeping him in the closet. The price he'll pay for that is how much harder it will be the break it off with his wife and come out later in life - assuming of course he is gay, which it sounds like he is.

As sucky as your life might be, you get the luxury of getting to be yourself. You know who you are, so does everyone else. You don't have the cognitive dissonance of being one way and living another. You don't have to constantly worry about a wife you have to eventually break it off with.

#15 guitar, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Agreed.

It's just hard because he has someone and I don't, regardless of the nature of the relationship. I get so lonely sometimes it seems like anything would be better than this.

He's mentioned on several occasions how he wants to have kids and I'm just like, "No. Don't." I feel like he has this romanticized notion of the heterosexual nuclear family. Or maybe he's convincing himself that things will all fall into place when children arrive. It's just going to be another nail in the coffin, though.

I think this guy might be so far in denial he's not even worried about breaking it off with his wife because he's convinced himself he won't.

17. Siegfried

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Man, this is so similar to an experience I've had with a guy at my uni. I hope you're doing okay. (*hug*)

Do you know anything about his family background? Do his parents put pressure on him? What he's doing is really unfair on you, but he may be going through a hard time too. After my experience, I'd honestly say to run away from him as quickly as you can, but then I'm not 100% certain how things will end for me either. If it somehow happens that the guy I know changes his mind and comes out to me, well, that would be the best thing ever, even if he just wanted to be friends. I'd be willing to commit myself to him if he wanted it, I just don't think he'll ever come out, much less consider entering into a same-sex relationship.

In my case, he isn't married, but rather has been going from one girlfriend to the next. As in your case, he started it all and I did nothing to encourage it, but ended up getting really hurt. In the time I've known him, he's taken me to heaven but also pushed me into hell (in a figurative sense – I'm an atheist). He's honourable enough to stop the flirting and so on whenever he gets serious with a new girl, but in some ways that's made it even harder, because when he breaks up, he starts it again. I twice went through a situation where he broke up with his girlfriend of the time, got really flirty with me and then some months later, just when things seemed to be getting to the stage where something might happen, he suddenly became cold. In both cases, it happened after he had gone home, and in both cases I later found out he had started getting serious with new girls. My guess is that when he goes home, he gets a lot of pressure to get a long-term girlfriend.

He was recently very flirty again, but I remained distant because as far as I knew he had a girlfriend. I then noticed a notification on social media that they entered into a relationship (I think again after took a short trip home), and since then he hasn't been flirty. I know they were together earlier this year, and I think it had already been posted on social media, so maybe they broke up but then got back together (without him telling me of course – ne never says a word about that sort of thing to me). If that's the case, at least it confirms my belief that he is an honourable guy (and wasn't getting flirty when he was committed to someone else).

I only got over him when I managed to convince myself that he'll never come out, not to me or to anyone else. What convinced me of that was two things. One is his parents. I've met them, and they seem nice, but I also got the impression that they have high demands. I think they expect him to succeed, on their terms, in all areas of life, and that includes getting married and having children. The second is that I also know from talking to his sister's ex-boyfriend (also an atheist), that his family are religious. He's vague about whether he believes, but I think he's trying to be straight for his parents and family anyway, and they do believe.

It's up to you what to do, but my amateur opinion based on a similar experience is that whether he comes out or not will depend a lot on what's holding him back. If it's his marriage, maybe it will break down. If he's gay, it would be the right thing for him to do to end it. If there are deeper issues, as with the guy in my case, then it may be hopeless. Either way, though, you should not tolerate the things he's doing, when he's committed to someone else. Maybe you can somehow bring up the topic of faithfulness and behaving in an honourable way towards partners. I have a very low opinion of unfaithfulness and unfaithful people, and if you feel the same, maybe you try to show him that, without specifically calling out his own behaviour.

The lack of verbal communication that I've faced is probably one of the hardest things I've had to deal with, and by the sound of it, you're facing the same thing: all the communication is physical or indirect. In one sense, maybe it's good that at least the guy in your case is consistent. However, it would really concern me that he behaves the way he does with you despite being married. Maybe the marriage is going badly, but it still seems like a breach of trust to me. If he lied about being straight to marry his wife, and he'll breach her trust by flirting with you, can you really trust him at all?

18. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh, I hear you. What helps is that the more he continues this behavior but tries to act "straight," the ickier I find him. School has started back up and within the first five minutes or so of seeing me, his hand was on my shoulder even though he doesn't get physical with anyone else or let anyone else touch him. Then he sat super close to me at a school event and crossed his legs toward me and when a professor took a photo of the event, a friend apparently found it funny enough to send to me via text because it captured him being--well, him. He's also started texting me multiple times a day since school has started back up.

What doesn't help is that the person who had been my closest friend in the program always says, "But he thinks you're his best friend!" whenever I express any disgust toward him. And I saw that she'd befriended his wife and found out that he and she had been working on school projects together all summer without letting me know. It feels like a betrayal. It feels like she's saying to grin and bear his predatory behavior. So now I don't just have to distance myself from him, but from her as well.

I guess my attitude is that I don't expect him to come out, but he doesn't get to treat me like a boyfriend. I'm not going to text with him all the time, I'm not going to let him touch me, I'm not going to let him drain me of all my vitality with his constant neediness. It's already taken such an emotional toll that I can barely get my stuff together, I'm depressed all the time, and I'm anxious all the time.

He refers to his family as "crazy." They're not religious. His dad may be somewhat macho and I know he was pretty neglectful. He makes fun of both of his parents all the time, but one time he was talking about how his dad is unhealthy and almost started crying when he said he wanted his dad to be around. He also came close to tears once when he was telling a story about how his dad didn't notice him or things he was going through when he was in high school. These are the only times I've seen him emotional.

What I don't understand is how allegedly LGBT friendly he is. He has LGBT friends, he goes to drag shows, he reads articles about gender and sexuality. However, I think this is all fairly new in his life--within the last few years or so. I know he briefly worked for a religious nonprofit organization but said the whole Christian thing didn't linger. His whole story seems to be one of trying to find himself though. He dropped out of community college, did the music thing, considered the art school thing, did the photography thing, tried the Christian thing, got married, went back to college and is now trying to do the academic thing in our grad program.

Nothing about this makes sense and because he has given me nothing verbally (not that I expect him to), I feel like I'm going crazy and I constantly second guess myself and wonder if he really is straight. But something's not adding up.

19. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    P.S. I should clarify that by "school projects," I mean that my former best bud in the program and he are doing creative writing together with a sort of "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" thing. It's not like they're working on an assignment for class or anything.

20. Siegfried

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ouch, that sounds tough. Have you tried explaining to her how difficult this is for you? It seems really unfair that you'd have to distance yourself from her because of him. Is there anyone else in your program whom you could work with, without that guy getting involved?

I guess I'm lucky, in that my best bud in this city (we're all outsiders who came here for uni), who's a straight guy, isn't friends with the other guy. At first, after a couple of things happened, my bud actually thought the other guy was kind of weird, and said so to me in frustration after that guy did something to him that seemed unfriendly. I said a few words about not judging people and he agreed I was right.

I don't think we have any mutual friends, only acquaintances. I had noticed my best bud staring at us a couple of times with a kind of puzzled look when the other guy had been really flirty with me, but whatever he thought about it, he never said anything. I haven't said anything either, not to anyone in real life, because I want to respect this guy's closeted status. Without anyone in real life to talk with about it, I think I'd have gone crazy without sites like EC.

The closest thing to your situation, I guess, is that when doing activities that require pairs (not in a couple sense), where my best friend would participate with his girlfriend, he used to always suggest I participate too, and that I ask the other guy. Maybe with the flirting and things, he assumed the other guy and I were close friends, or maybe he could tell the other guy liked me. We've never discussed it. Sometimes I wanted to ask him, but other times, when things were going badly, I just thought, 'if only you knew what this guy is putting me through' (but I didn't say it).