1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siblings: Supportive and NOT

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KaySee, Aug 18, 2015.

1. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sister is an outspoken in morals and came to the realization that she was not straight way before me. She was supportive and inquisitive when I came out to her. We are close in age and shared everything when we were kids.

My brother and I are close in personality and almost always understood each other. My brother was pretty disbelieving when I told him I was gray-aromantic. As far as he could tell, it was an online myth. We argued, before I finally shut down once I saw that nothing was getting through.

He apparently felt like that at my age, too. Did not mention how he is now. I think there is some denial.

On any other similar issues, he is all over the board. Yes, no, and whatever. It was so hard to predict his reaction to me coming out.

We do not talk about it anymore.

2. Crema

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is your brother younger than you? I feel that sometimes younger people have a hard time accepting things that are not black or white; I think that acceptance of others as they are and the ability of not questioning other people's feelings it's something that comes with age - I myself experienced that: a few years ago I had an opinion on everything, even things that concerned very private feelings like gender identity or sexual orientation of other people; growing up and being exposed to different and complex situations I've learnt to be much more accepting.

Maybe your brother will come around if you give him some time :slight_smile:

3. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He is much older, and black and white ways of looking at things is not his style. He plays devil's advocate in most arguments and his opinions have no constants to them.

In all honestly, I don't think he cares much, but the denial of the existence of my orientation was a hard blow for me.