1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin Probs? :/

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ameryllis, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys! :3 So I'm in a bit of a tricky position...I have a twin sister, and what I'm concerned about is that no one will be able to crush on me individually. People say we look a lot alike, and my crush can't even tell us apart without asking. We pretty much have the same friends, and are often described as 'one unit'. -.-

We do have different interests, and even though we're both pretty quiet, I'm described as the more talkative one. When I spoke to my sister about this fear, she claimed not to have it, as she is obviously basking in the false belief that we look entirely different. -.- (Personally, I don't think
    we look all that much alike, but I've given up on denying it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Anyway, even though I'm not out to my crush, I still like to hope that eventually if I tell her, or if she finds out that I like her in the future, she'll like me individually and not fancy my sister on the side. That also goes for any other possible future relationships that I may experience.

Has anyone else who has a twin experienced this? >.<

-I should also add that I'm not sure if my sister is straight or not, though I'm assuming that because we're twins, there's a pretty big chance she's not.

~Thanks for taking the time to read about my random problems! xD

2. bounced

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Ameryllis,

I am an identical twin too and I can relate to what you wrote in your post very much. I used to get extremely frustrated when others would 'group' me and my twin as the same person with the same personality... two copies essentially. I HATED it...

When you go to the same school it's hard because you do have the same friends and hang around with the same people. You probably have the same hobbies and interests so is hard to find a way to make yourself more identifiable as an individual.

I used to strive to make myself seem like the more 'outgoing' and extroverted twin, but this was at the expense of my brother and I did and said things that weren't very nice and I regret them now.

I can promise you that when you leave school and go to college and study different things/get different jobs and meet different people, others around you will notice that you and your sister aren't exactly the same and you are individual people with their own merit.

While you're still at school maybe you can try to take part in a few activities or sports that your twin isn't involved in or choose some different classes so that you can spend some time doing things on your own without your twin always doing the same. I'm not saying you should try and find new friends or deliberately try and 'define' yourself as this vastly different person but you might meet some new people and enjoy some time as an individual for a while.

As for the suspicion that your twin is a lesbian - just because you have the same DNA doesn't mean that you're sister is a lesbian too. My twin brother is straight and I am bi/gay so genetics doesn't always determine your sexuality.

I'm 28 now and most of my friends and my brother's friends are surprised about how different we are. I like to tell people that we couldn't be more different, but we couldn't be more the same. Because there are many, many things that are the same about us but many, many things that are different. We have different interests and hobbies, different tastes in music and differing opinions about politics and religion. There are also many hobbies and interests that we share and enjoy doing together.

Being a twin is very special, it's not like having an older or younger brother or sister. Having a twin is like a 3rd kind of sibling that no one else can fully understand unless they are a twin themselves. Enjoy how lucky you are to have a twin and everything will work out fine.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to talk about anything else.

Cheers, Bounced