1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

running away

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bassboss, Aug 21, 2015.

1. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Iv been thinking about running away if my parents act the way they probably will. One day I tried to come out to my parents they both just said it was because of my age and it was just a faze I try to explain that it wasn't just a faze and it was who I am but they just said I didn't know what I was talking about . Its about 4 months later and my best friend convinced me to come out so I did over face book I'm not friends with any family so I thought only my friends would know. But I was friend's with a kid from scouts he saw my post then told the scout leader he had a problem with me coming on the scout trip and he told this to my parents then they called me I'm at my grandfathers house right now and when I get home they will be waiting for me and I just know what they are going to say and I just want to run away

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you're too young to run away just now. I seriously doubt your parents will act violent once you get home. You need to give them time to process this. Also, I don't think coming out to the world without your parents' support was a smart move.

3. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Don't do that.
    It's stupid.
    Your parents just need time since, well, their son might gay.

4. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not scared that they will act violently I'm afraid the will be disaponted and not like me anymore

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you think your parents will say, or do? Will it really be so bad that you will need to run away from home? Think very carefully before you do something so drastic.

Your parents may be upset or disappointed and it will be hard for you to take, but very few parents want to be permanently at war with their kids. Your coming out will present them with all sorts of personal issues and difficulties and you can read about some of them here: Empty Closets - Parent and Family Stages of Grief but most parents do come around in the end.

If your parents are not ready to accept you coming out it might be a good idea to leave it until you are in a position to stand on your own two feet, rather than force the issue. At the moment your parents provide security and stability and you shouldn't compromise that for the sake of coming out right now. I understand that you want to be open about your feelings, but openness at any price is not a good idea.

If your parents are willing to consider how you feel, you could refer them to PFLAG for advice and support.

6. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Running away is never the answer, don't do that unless they're seriously harming you with extreme physical abuse. I do feel like they should have some time to adjust, my parents acted much better to me after a while of quiet.