1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scouting problems

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bassboss, Aug 23, 2015.

1. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a boy scout and I have been for two years now and where I live it's basicly on the Mason Dixon line so some people hate gays and some people are fine with it the only bad thing about this is you can't tell the difference. So I had to tell people and do my best to make sure it doesn't get out until I'm ready to tell everyone. So one day I decide to tell my spl who let's say name is David. David was one of my best friends and since he is such a high rank in our troop I though I could trust him so I decided to tell David that I'm gay. He doesn't respond and later that night I get a call from scouts about a scouts parent dosnt want there kid in the same troop as a gay kid.so my troop leader told me he needs to tell parents about me being gay after that I asked some of the other scouts if they had a problem with me and not one of them said they had any problem about me being gay and that they support me. Kyle didn't show up to scouts that day. But later that night I get another call from scouts about parents having problems and that they want me to leave the troop the leaders told me that they weren't going kick me out and that they we're fine with me being gay. I have no idea what I'm going to do about David and I don't want him to keep giving me problems

2. journalshush

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow. I am so sorry that this happened to you. I honestly don't know what to say but my heart goes out to you, that your trust was misused like that. If the troop leaders don't want to kick you out, maybe you could talk with them about it? They could become your allies in dealing with the other kids and parents. I do think this will blow over eventually, but it will probably be hard for a while first. I think getting the troop leaders on your side and using them as a resource (they are there to help you) will make a huge difference. Good luck! I hope it all works out soon!

3. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you kindly and also I did talk to some other scouts and only like 3 of them have a problem and it's mostly about religion about even tho I have lead the troop in payer before meals and I attend church every sunday and I will also talk to my leaders about dealing with some of the parents and scouts

#3 bassboss, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  4. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Fuck David, fuck Kyle and fuck the other guy.
    Most people respect you and want you to stay so...

Also David... What a fking pussy.

5. TheSeeker

Scouting can be tough, but at least the ban has been lifted. I'm an Eagle Scout, along with my father and brother, and even though I did not, I could have come out in my troop. In fact, there were a couple of kids in my troop who I knew were gay and the other members and leaders didn't care about it. In fact, they would have sooner kicked out someone who had a problem with it than actually kicking out the gay kids.

I was lucky. It does not sound like you are, however. Your leaders seem to be stand up guys though, and I admire them for sticking with you. If whatever overly bigoted parents want to pull their kids out of the troop, will the world end? No. Stand your ground and talk to your leaders and it should all blow over.

Also what your SPL did? Absolute shit. He should be stripped of his title because he seriously violated almost every of the Scout Law. "Trustworthy and Loyal" my ass!

If all else fails, you're in a city. Find another troop to join, one that's LGBT friendly, and go from there. I changed troops as a First Class and never looked back. It'll get better I promise, right now though you're just dealing with the brainwashed spawn of bigoted asshole parents.

Stay strong,

TheSeeker

6. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Davids dad is a assistant scout leader and today at scouts I asked him to sign off on one of my rank requirements and he said he wouldn't do it so I told the scout leader Dwight about it and he asked Davids dad about it and he wouldn't do it just because I'm gay and Davids dad lost his rank and he isn't allowed to come to trips or meetings anymore but David is still starting things and also I don't live in Philly I live in a place called samsonsville witch is a farming town and I did more reaserch on the history of my troop and I learned that in the past before gays we're allowed Davids dad reported a gay person so he couldn't get eagle

#6 bassboss, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  7. TheSeeker

Well, at least it's a small step in the right direction. The more people we lose like David's Dad, the better off the organization will be as a whole. Good for your Scoutmaster for stripping him of his rank. Sounds like you have a good ally.

Sorry David continues to be a jerk, but at least you know where he learned it. Kids never start out mean, but they can sure as hell be made that way by their parents. As for the guy that couldn't get Eagle, the BSA may be willing to restore his rank now that the ban has been lifted...

8. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have know how nice of a guy David can be for my first year and before I came out he would always help me with ranks he helped me get my tottin chip but ever since I came out he hates me

9. TheSeeker

I'm so sorry about that. Some people are so poisoned by hate, that they are unable to see past what they despise and realize that the person they are hating is the same one they liked before. His Dad has left a toxic legacy and David will be dealing with that for a long time.

I was an AS for a number of years, after I got my Eagle and while my brother was finishing his. One of the most violently homophobic redneck boys in the troop awarded me his mentor pin when he got his Eagle. I was honored, to say the least. But a number of years later he was in the Navy and ranting at me over FB about gays in the military. I came out to him and I think I blew his mind. He had no idea, and after some thought he came back around.

Maybe you'll be a learning experience for David, I certainly hope so, but if not he will be a learning experience for you. Lean on your other friends, reach out to your Scoutmaster. Those who hate you will fade with time, and I can promise you that David will be faced with a lot of hatred himself once he goes to college if he continues to spout such venom.

You're a brave man sir, I salute you; and I wish that I had had the courage to come out when I was as young as you are.

Good luck, and feel free to post on my wall if you ever need to talk.

-TheSeeker