1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does coming out help with making friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by crazydog15, Aug 23, 2015.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so my question's right there in the title: does coming out help people make friends? I've always been a bit of a loner, but I've always wanted friends. I think I can count on one hand the number of really good friends I've had over the years, but I want more. I think that one thing that's gotten in the way is the fact that I've always been a closeted gay guy, trying to square my feelings with what society says my feelings should be. But if I do come out, will coming out magically fix that problem? Part of me thinks that if nothing else, coming out will let others know exactly where they stand with me.

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't say for sure, but I think so. I know for me I gradually pulled away from most of my friends as they started getting into relationships and I wasn't able to share in that, talk about crushes, sex, etc. I don't think coming out will directly cause you to gain friends, but indirectly it will as it will allow you to be more comfortable just being yourself and not always guarding a secret.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The real truth is that you will win some friends and lose some. It all depends on your circle of influence.

4. Lyana

I can name dozens of benefits to coming out. I fully believe that, if you're in a country where it's safe enough for you to do so, coming out will make you, in the long run, happier and more comfortable with yourself. Being out will at least ensure that what friends you do make will like you regardless of your orientation.

However... No. It won't magically fix your problem, because problems don't usually get magically fixed. It doesn't work that way. Coming out will only solve your problem if the reason you have trouble making friends is that you're closeted.
    Try to think why it isn't easy for you. Are you shy? Do you not get the opportunity to meet many people? Do you feel uncomfortable initiating? If any of these are true, coming out may not solve your problem.

Being out and getting involved in LGBT groups in your area, though, will allow you to meet other LGBT people and maybe become friendly with them. :slight_smile:

5. Willa

YES. Yes, yes, and more yes. But not for the reasons you think.

A closeted person always seems nervous for no reason to the people around them, and sort of fragile. When you decide that you're ready to come out, you'll feel more confident and liberated, and people just like that.

6. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. If you're in a society where it's safe to do so, why ever not? If not, I suggest you keep it in. For me I came out cleanly to my friends, and cuz I tend to flirt a lot, they all know where they stand. It's an important step for all of us-to know where we stand. Any wrong ideas and I'm practically dead.

If it's meeting people for the first time, no, it won't. In fact, that's a pretty effective repellent. In fact, go on somewhere like ****** (it's anon) and tell a person you're gay. Disconnect. I find it funny, actually.

But it certain cases it does deepen your relationship with that person, though only if you two are close enough to begin with. So no, it doesn't help you make friends, only improve your bond. But if your finding new friends cuz your friends are all in relationships, then that's even worse. Maybe cuz for me none of us are in relationships (me in no strings attached ones) so we can gossip about these just fine. In the long run, it doesn't make relationships magically. I'd say they make or break a relationship. Break especially, if you're not close to them.