1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your Preference?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nate16, Aug 25, 2015.

1. nate16

I've always been curious about what people's preferences are, and what there thoughts are considering polyamory/open relationships and monogamy? If you're so moved to share, please do! What works for you?

I myself prefer monogamy (sexual and romantic), however if my partner really wants to explore open relationships, I might either consider trying a menage a tois situation or just leave the picture.

2. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally don't care what type of relationship I could potentially have. Weather I fall in love with one or more people doesn't matter to me. As long as you and the others in the relationship are comfortable, it's fine. (*hug*)

3. PokeGleek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am strictly monogamous. Even if my partner ever wanted to have an open relationship, I don't think I'll be able to have one.

Polyamory/open relationships might work for some people, but I'm not one of them.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer monogamy. I can be a jealous person (I'm working on that) and I don't know if I could handle dating someone who wouldn't be happy being exclusive. My girlfriend is the same way.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I prefer monogamy for myself. Handling even one healthy relationship is pretty hard, more than that..? I wouldn't be able to handle it. If my future partner wanted to explore it, I don't think I would stay, because I would want to be my partners only Romantic/sexual relationship. I don't judge other if they are polyamorous but it isn't for me and it'd be a deal breaker in a relationship.

6. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer monogamy, though it really depends on how close are as a couple. If everything else is going great and we get along really well, I could probably pass on the sexual stuff.

#6 Ameryllis, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  7. Friendly Lion

I've been in a monogamous before and am currently in a poly relationship and I haven't decided yet which I like better, because they're both pretty enjoyable honestly. I never used to think polyamory was something I'd be open to, but it just feels really right and simple now that I'm doing it.

8. kyoujin

I'm open to polyamory.

9. Lyana

I've only experienced monogamous relationships, but I'd be willing to try an open relationship or polyamory. Exclusivity is not that important to me, because I believe (some) people can love more than one person.

Personally, I doubt I'd be willing to have more than one serious romantic partner, because I love my alone time. But if my partner wanted to date or sleep with other people, I'd give them the go-ahead. Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't, but I'd be willing to try.

10. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find monogamy with open sexual activity to work well for me. Polyamory is extremely difficult to do well -- I've been in several relationships (FFF and FFM) that didn't work -- often because the third person wanted monogamy.

Between a job and the rest of real life, I find it easier to give one partner my full emotional and time attention. Having sex with other people is fine -- not something I do all the time, but who I have sex with doesn't define the commitment to my primary partner.

#10 Chloe, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  11. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Monogamy. I've never really had feelings for two people at the same time and I honestly don't think I could handle being in an open relationship.

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Monogamy only, for me.

If you want anything other than monogamy, I think you need to be very honest with each other from the outset and absolutely agree how it will work. I think it's very hard to move the goal posts once a relationship is well established.

13. Hopeful

I prefer monogamy but I think it would depend on circumstances. If I wasn't in a very serious relationship I think I could handle a polygamous relationship as well. It would really depend on the person/people and what's going on with me in life. I'd rather be in a polygamous relationship than NO relationship if I really liked the person/people.

14. Theo Weiss

Currently I am only interested in monogamy. I don't think I could handle an intimate polygamous relationship. However, I am open to trying it.

15. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, sorry to follow the crowd but I'm monogamous too! There's more than one way to have happy relationships though :slight_smile: everyone should do what works for them.

16. MetalRice

Monogamy, I want loyalty and companionship.

17. hullaballoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Monogamy: I'm not very good with communication (needed in polyamory) I feel like I would be too clingy and kinda jealous for polyamory~

18. whoagirls

Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer monogamy, not because I have anything against polyamorous people, it's just that I am an extremely jealous person and both me and the other person would be miserable and it just wouldn't be healthy for either of us. If I wasn't so jealous I honestly believe I would be into polyamory but that's just not who I am.

19. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been in a polyamorous relationship but it seems less stressful than monogamy. I definitely want to try it sometime

20. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Depends on my partner I suppose, I tried the open relationship thing once and it wasn't my thing. I definitely prefer to be in a monogamous relationship.