1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to Date Again?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mrcake, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Mrcake

Hello everyone, I haven't posted a thread in a long time here. I just came out of a pretty serious 5 month relationship and I was wondering when it's typically okay to start dating someone again? I don't want to jump the gun on anything right now, but I would still like to date someone sometime this year.

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really don't know. I never dated anyone. I guess you should let the possible wounds heal, spend some time with yourself and start over with dating.

3. Lyana

Hey Mrcake,

There is no one-size-fits-all rule. It depends on how you felt about your SO, how you feel about them now, and how the breakup happened. If you two simply fell out of love and split amicably, for example, you're already over them and could start dating earlier than if you were still miserable because they'd dumped you while you were still in love with them. Does that make sense?

It also depends on why you want to date again. If you feel you need one to be happy, well, that's an issue you might want to address first. If you just feel like dating because hey it's fun, then by all means go ahead.

Ultimately, it's your call when to date again. Do it when you feel ready.

4. Crema

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Lyana, there isn't a rule and it mostly depends on how you feel, when you feel ready to date and most importantly when you meet someone that makes you want to date them :slight_smile:

5. Mrcake

I broke up with the other person because we had different expectations of intimacy, and other reasons. I think it's a good thing to wait a little bit at least in order to feel that single excitement again. I just feel like it's really nice to have that significant other to rely on a lot.