1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love a girl I met online.. She lives far away

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FlyingCheese, Aug 26, 2015.

1. FlyingCheese

Out Status:
    A few people
    I met a girl on tumblr and after a while of being friends we started flirting and now because we both struggle with mental illness we always check up on each other to cheer each other up and make sure one another is safe.
    We're 2 years apart in age and our birthdays are just ten days apart. I really wish I could watch movies with her and bring her blankets, run her baths and give her gifts, but she lives in Texas and I live in Canada, Alberta.
    Plus when someone is lonely I think being physically there would be a lot more helpful than a message, as helpful as I know a thoughtful message can be.
    The soonest I can visit her would be years from now, I want a relationship with her to work, I've never been in a relationship before let alone a long distance one, if she's depressed I want to visit and make her happy.

I want to get away from the town I live in, but I also want to save my money to visit her and also buy some things I like, but I'm scared because where I work, they only gave me two hours of work. WHY? What did I do wrong? Everyone else is getting at least 5 hours. Whatever I did wrong I'm sorry if the hours are the same next week I think I'll get a different job and quit before they fire me for what the fuck ever, there is one supervisor who likes to sabotage workers and is single handedly ruining the working environment, she probably said something to make me seem terrible. Sounds paranoid but she's done it before.

I want to tell the girl I like that once I'm a nurse and have enough money I would seriously plan to visit her.
    I think it's really funny because every time I think about the situation I think about the dude on the computer from Napoleon Dynamite.:lol:

2. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have you guys skyped before? Because that is a must. Skype, Oovoo, Tinychat, etc. Something to prove they're a real person other than just photos.

Another thing to consider with depression is that having someone physically there and/or dating someone might help but it won't necessarily cure the depression and it may not even make things better. Its a difficult and tricky thing to deal with. (In my personal opinion, which probably wouldn't matter, she needs a friend more than a girlfriend.)

Another thing to think about it how out she is and if she's comfortable with you showing up. Surprising people by showing up out of the blue, especially someone you've never met in person before can be very intense.

Does she know you have feelings for her? You don't want to get your hopes too high up and visit her to confess only to find out she doesn't feel the same.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it or scare you but these are things to think about.

3. FlyingCheese

Out Status:
    A few people
    Right now my phone is broken, once I get it fixed I plan on asking if she would want to use facetime or a similar app since my computer has no anti virus.
    Once I get a haircut and my phone is fixed I'm going to show her pics of me and post them on tumblr. Since we both have depression I know that relationships aren't going to fix the illness at hand, much like loving someone with a physical illness isn't going to make them less ill.

I don't plan to show up randomly but to plan with her and not as a surprise because showing up outside her house without warning sounds impossible and VERY creepy.
    I also don't know if she's out of the closet because I know texas isn't a great place to live if you're lgbt.

She knows about my feelings I'm pretty much 99% sure she feels the same way she calls me "my love, flower, kitten etc" and says she wants to kiss me and have me fall asleep with her and I asked her if she was single and told her I'd give her a million kisses and keep her safe.
    Super sappy stuff.
    She's romantically attracted, there's always the chance she won't be physically attracted to me though and that's fine.

Right now I'm just lonely and want to kiss her, so I posted just wanting to talk about it and get feedback like yours, so thank you.

She said she also wishes we lived closer together so that we could cuddle and visit

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seconding what Ariseta said about video chatting. If your computer's lack of an anti-virus program is a problem, there are free programs you can download.

Wanting to be physically there for someone when you can't is hard. The best thing is to be there for them any way you can. You mentioned that you wish that you could watch movies together. Why don't you? Pick a movie that you can both watch, pick a chat program, and then start the movie at the same time. I know it's not the same, but it's still fun. When you can video chat, that's another option.

I'm sorry that your work isn't giving you the hours you need. Hopefully it was just an oversight this week. I've heard a lot of horror stories of supervisors who were terrible at scheduling--giving some people too many hours and other people barely any. Have you tried asking for more hours? If you're not looking for another job already, you may want to start immediately. Job hunting is easier said than done, so better to start now than later. If only because it's clear it's not a good environment.

As for relationships and wanting to meet her, take things slow. It sounds like you're both really into each other but it also sounds like the two of you haven't known each other very long. There's nothing wrong with getting to know each other for a while first. Be sure that you're both in a place where you can take on a relationship.

5. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    In my experience, sharing sappy words doesn't always mean you're on the same page. I discovered this the hard way. Just be careful and definitely try to get that facetime going. Never visit someone who can't facetime/skype/oovoo/whatever. Its the 21st century, everyone can do it somehow.

Also there are tons of websites now-a-days that let you watch the same movies as your partner and skype at the same time. Two of my friends who are dating long distance used to have a regular date night.

#5 TempUsername3, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  6. FlyingCheese

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I should really take the time to clean up my computer, I forgot about the honeymoon phase of relationships, right now we both have plenty of things to work on individually but as for right now we seem to be helping each other.

Ah yes skype should work once I've cleaned up my computer.
    Both of you have a good suggestion for the movies, and once we;re having conversations on skype we can get to know each other more, plus I can show her my 20 lb cat, she is impressively fat.