1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My former roommate

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Steele, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I've posted about one of my roommates from last year a few times, but this post that I made in another thread about roommates basically sums him up:

The guy I was sharing a room with was a homophobe. He thought that homosexuality was a mental disorder, absolutely refused to shut up and listen whenever I was talking about my experiences as a gay person, and also refused to examine his own homophobic/heterosexist tendencies despite knowing damn well that he had them, insisting that they were natural. And I think my favorite line that he said to me was "silly faggot, dicks are for chicks!", after which he insisted that I was "too proud" to laugh right then and there, but that I'd be laughing at it on my own later.

And the homophobic bullshit aside, this guy was just an asshole in general.

At one point I got sick and then he got sick right afterwards, and he seriously got pissed at me for getting him sick when really, I don't even think he got what I got. The conversation went something like this (just keep in mind that he was yelling the entire time, and being serious):

-Him: Seriously, where did you get this?!
    -Me: Get what?
    -Him: This fucking cold!
    -Me: I don't know, I assume I got it from someone at school.
    -Him: If I find the asshole who brought this into the school I'm gonna beat the shit out of them!
    -Me: Dude, calm down, we're at a high-stress school surrounded by people we've never met before from all over the country, these things happen.
    -Him: Well it was probably some idiot who got this thing from fucking around instead of doing his work but then realized "oh shit, I'm on student loans!" and decided to bring this thing into the school to infect everyone else! That's usually how it is!

He'd react similarly and similar conversations would play out whenever I beat him at Super Smash Bros.

Believe me, there's more to him than that, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Now that we're not living together anymore, I don't want to be friends with him. So, I unfriended him on facebook a few weeks ago, and now, he's noticed. He sent me a message asking me if I unfriended him and I'm not sure how to respond, but I was thinking about saying something like this:

I’m sorry, but yes, I did unfriend you. I did this because I honestly feel that you brought a lot of negativity into my life with regards to me being gay, and as someone who already deals with enough negativity for being gay, I don’t have the time or energy to deal with anything extra. Your stance that homosexuality is a mental disorder, your inability and unwillingness to listen to my lived experiences as a gay person and learn from them, the fact that you would always shut me down and manipulate what I was saying before I even had a chance to finish my sentences when talking about LGBT issues, and your frequent insults all weighed down on me, and I’m not willing to live with that weight on my shoulders. If you research the topic of homosexuality, change your views, and clean up your act, I would be willing to reconsider a friendship with you, but until then, a friendship is not something I can pursue.

So, what do you guys think? Is this good? Feel free to edit anything, and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't let him pressure you into feeling guilty about not wanting to stay "friends" with him. I think that your message is fine. Don't waste your time and energy on a person who has brought nothing but negativity into your life and could easily be avoided.

3. bryaninau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a great way to sum that up, I would also add when your ready to learn what LGBT is from a person who lives day in and day out I will be here, or something among those lines. I would still sent the message its not worth the time, energy, or stress.