1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bryaninau, Aug 30, 2015.

1. bryaninau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just graduated college looking for work, and want to pursue a relationship. My last and first gay relationship ended in disaster being sexually assaulted and being very messed up and carrying scares of pain and trust to this day. I also am into some of the more kinky things, but here's what I am asking.

How and where can I find someone who is patient and accepting of the person I am? Is there any dating sites that are good, nothing for hookups but a long-term relationship?

Thanks for the advice guys.

--Bryan

2. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First thing is don't use online, big mistake. People can just create a pretty profile and say anything but you haven't truly met them until you do in real life.:dry:

A person can convince you of all things on since you can't hear their voice or see their body language to tell if their lying, you don't know where they hang out and what there friends say about them. When you meet someone offline they have less to hide behind, try meeting someone into their natural habitat, when they are off guard, that helps to avoid fakers, serial killers, abusers. I met a guy online who I heard raped a guy he drugged at his home.:confused: And people have had online relationships for years and finally decided to meet the person and they were false.

3. mangotree

Hi Bryan and welcome.
    I second what Chromedome said, but if online is your only option - you just have to do everything in your power to make it safe for yourself (e.g. meet in public first and follow the other online safety guidelines that are usually built into apps and websites).

Perhaps write down some criteria that your potential "dates" need to meet.
    You might have to be a bit fussy and turn a lot of people down because they don't match that criteria - but better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately I can't recommend any sites or apps (forum policy). You'll just have to use trial and error. Perhaps start with the more well-known ones that you can use/try for free to start with.

#3 mangotree, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. AAASAS

You can try apps and sites, we can't specify which ones on here because the forum doesn't allow that.

The main ones though they have a stigma with being for hookups aren't too bad, you just need to weed out through those just looking for sex. I met my current boyfriend on one of those apps and I really wouldn't have been able to meet anybody else living in a small town; so those who knock it don't understand it can be used for other things.

To avoid people being dishonest with you , webcam with them prior to meeting to verify identity, I asked everyone to do this and they had no problem, anyone that does clearly is hiding something and not being honest.

Obviously anyone you meet off an app or a website do it in a public place, let someone else know who you are meeting what they look like; picture, and let the person you are meeting know that someone is aware you are with them....etc. Sounds a bit nuts but it does make the whole ordeal seem a lot safer.

If you use an app just ignore sexual advances, and state you are looking for friends/relationships in your profile, and eventually someone who is similar will message you; you can also weed through profiles that state the same thing.

I don't know about dating websites, all the ones I used were just sketchy, and messaging in an e-mail style takes forever, with apps you instantly talk and can get a feel for the person right away.

Could you explain what you mean by "someone that is patient and accepting of the person you are?" is there something specific about you that is offputting?