1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend went with me to the GSA and then made fun of gay people

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ilovesg, Sep 1, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My friend has a history of being rude and kind of homophobic (she once told me homophobia doesn't exist) but she has been nicer lately and supportive. She went with me today to my first GSA meeting and was obviously uncomfortable the whole time. After she left, she tweeted "WTF sooo gay" I don't know if this is a coincidence, if it is she's still rude because in our meeting we talked about why you shouldn't call things gay, or if she did it on purpose. She is going through a hard time right now so she might be upset about something else, but I feel like that's not it. Do I call her out on it? Or give her the benefit of the doubt? It kind of hurt my feelings.

2. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Call her out on it. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. My straight friends go through some terrible times but they never say that. They never make gay jokes and they'd call out anyone who would just for me even though they used to be heavily homophobic and go to a homophobic church.

3. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd definitely bring it up with her. I guess first and foremost establish what she was referring to (because if she was talking about the GSA that is crazy rude), and take it from there. If she's making you uncomfortable, let her know that - don't settle for it if you don't have to!

4. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    If it's really like that then lol what a bitch!

5. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

Talk to her, let her know it makes you feel uncomfortable. Tell her it hurt your feelings and you'll see. If she keeps acting like that, maybe the best thing to do would be to avoid her for a while. Maybe then she'll change her behavior.

6. tentacles

Talk to her. If you keep silent, she won't think that she did something wrong.
    If you are scared because she is passing through a hard time, be gentle, but don't let this pass. Call her and say something like "hey, I was really hurt that you tweeted this when I'm a lesbian and we talked on GSA about how we shouldn't call things gay. Could you please not do this again?"

7. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I mentioned it but I don't think she got the text because she texted me today asking why I haven't replied to her, or maybe she's just ignoring what I said. Then, she said she saw this girl at her work who apparently looks like me and my friend told her that. She showed her a picture of me and I guess she said "Oh yeah I know her people used to tease me and say I look like her" I have no idea who this girl is but that is so rude. I didn't recognize her name and I have never met anyone with that name in my life. I don't know if my friend is purposefully trying to be really mean to me lately or if she is just dumb.

#7 ilovesg, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  8. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    She just sent me this looonngggg text about how the tweets weren't about me and she didn't mean that girl was teased because she looked like me. She is making it sound like she's the victim because it hurt my feelings. She words things horribly and even if she wasn't talking about me it was still rude to say that especially after we just went to the GSA meeting. She said she was calling this other guy gay because he cried....like that makes it better.

9. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Tell her that she needs to grow up. Doesn't matter who it was aimed at, she shouldn't be saying stuff like that and honestly if she's just twisting your words to make you the victim, you might as well cut her off. Sounds like a terrible friend.