1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the point of romantic relationships?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cobal, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Cobal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just don't get it, I don't want to be in one. And I don't see why they are prioritized so much, like they are a necessity in life. I don't believe love exists, and watching people get really upset when they struggle to find "the one" confuses me.

I will never be in a relationship or have sex with someone (even though I'm not asexual). I just don't see it for me.

I just want to know why people feel this need to have these relationships, and why they are so sought after?

2. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Woah, you went full emo.
    What happened?

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

You don't have to be in one, you're not obliged to be. If you want to live alone, that's fine. :slight_smile: You don't believe love exists? Maybe you are just feeling the absence of it. I can't agree with that because there are old people who are still together. People want a relationship because it's a natural drive.

4. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ummm... maybe because a lot of people want that companion in their life? A lot of people get lonely y'know...

I used to not believe that I would ever fall in love but I think I am in love right now. (Might seem weird because of my age but seriously I'm getting some major feelings at the moment) If you don't think relationships are for you then that's okay, I respect that. Do what you want to do, or don't do what you don't want to do. No one is forcing relationships on you, just live life and have fun. :slight_smile:

5. Cobal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am actually pretty content.

I don't think it's a natural drive, I think sex is. I think that "love" is a story that people took too seriously. A lot of people want this Hollywood type of experience that I don't think is real. There are so many expectations and you see many people become depressed when it doesn't go the way they envisioned it.

My view, from the outside looking in, is that it looks very unhealthy when couples are very co-dependant. To the point where if they break up, they are lost, and don't know how to function without the other person.
    No thanks to that.

With couples that stay together until they die. I think it's a lot of settling and not wanting change in their lives, as people usually don't like change.

I don't look down on people who want relationships at all. I know I am the minority, I just want to know why people want this. Especially with all the cons that come with it.

6. Sek

Sek

Romantic relationships are about making life more enjoyable. It's about finding someone that you enjoy spending time with so much that you'd be willing to commit to an agreement where you do it as often as feels right. It's about finding someone whose perspective and thoughts balance your own. It's about finding someone you're sexually attracted to who is sexually attracted to you, so you can satisfy your sex drive in an enjoyable and less reckless way. It's about so much more than just obsessing over someone.

I don't know if you have experienced romantic love yet, and if you have I don't know if you've experienced requited romantic love yet. But it's just a fact that for most people they enjoy it. If it was a fake thing caused by hollywood ideals, why would it exist throughout all times, all parts of the world, and the majority of species?

The bottom line is that romantic relationships are about the pursuit of happiness. If a romantic relationship wouldn't bring you happiness, it makes sense to avoid them. But I think it's wise to always keep an open mind and an open heart, because perhaps you haven't found what's right for you yet in terms of the logistics of love. You're young. I hadn't experienced (requited) romantic love until recently, and after I did my views on love changed completely.

And scientifically speaking, it's been proven that things we attach to (or 'love') release feel-good hormones when we indulge in them so it's undoubtedly a hard-wired thing inside of us.

Hope my response made you think a little bit.

#6 Sek, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

If you think that sex is the natural drive that makes people want a relationship, then this world would be a hell of a lot scarier than it already is. Have FWBs if people just want sex. It's better than faking feelings to get into someone's pants.
    People want a romantic relationship even without sex. Some people search for it their entire lives. If from your perspective that romance is this hollywood, scripted act, it's not. Everyone's experience differs from one another & if someone expects their romantic relationship to be like a hollywood movie, they are delusional.

Co-dependency is unhealthy in a relationship. Not everyone is codependent of their partner. It is possible to have a healthy relationship without codependency, lol. People do have lives aside from their partner & the partner is there to support them. :thumbsup:

I think with people who are together for the longest time, it's not that they're afraid of change. But yes, change is scary & change is inevitable. Being in a committed relationship means adapting to changes, whether it'd be yourself or your partner, because when you are involved with someone, you accept who they are & whoever they will be in the future.

I don't know how to answer that for you to be able to understand, lol. People get lonely & people want to be able to connect to another person despite the consequences because you'll never know which one will work out or which one won't. I think that's why people keep trying.

8. Lyana

I've never wanted "a relationship" in the sense that you seem to give to the words, Cobal. I'm young and can't see myself fretting over finding "The One," or hunting for a relationship regardless of whom with. I don't even believe in The One, and I know I can be perfectly happy while single.

However, I do see a point to romantic relationships. The point, for me, is that occasionally I meet someone with whom I really connect, and I'm very attracted to them, and I want to do all that horrible sappy romantic stuff like take them out on dates and kiss them under the rain and light candles in my room for them and proudly call them my partner. I want to, so I do. Do you think you'll never meet someone with whom you'll want something more?

Yes, you're right. That is unhealthy. Unfortunately, some relationships are unhealthy. Not all. Some friendships and some family relationships are also extremely unhealthy, but they're not pointless, are they?

9. Cobal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies, they have cleared things up a bit. And helped reinforce that relationships aren't for me, and never will be. I may not believe love exists, but now I have an idea of why people seek out relationships and want them.
    Thanks. :thumbsup: