1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with hostile parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by anonymous3, Sep 2, 2015.

1. anonymous3

My brother came out as transgender and my parents hostility is giving me anxiety. :help:He wants to go by a male name at school but they found out and their arguing with him to keep his gender identity to himself. :rolle: I want to debate with them on the issue, since I have an interest in psychology and I've done research on gender dysphoria, but their responses make me feel unsafe. I feel so much anger towards them and I don't know what to do.

Please help. :slight_smile:

#1 anonymous3, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have you tried talking to maybe the school counselor? They might have a better idea on how to help your brother out. Meanwhile, take things slow with your parents, they just need time to wrap their heads around stuff.

Its good to see how supportive you are of your brother!!

3. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When you say unsafe, what exactly do you mean? If you feel like they could try to hurt you or him, then it's best to avoid provoking them.

If you do try to talk to your parents, staying calm will be tricky. Don't expect to win an argument; if they do change, it won't be overnight. If they say something just to get a reaction, you'll need to be able to ignore it. Say what you need to say without going down any rabbit trails. When you initiate the discussion, try to set a tone of concern rather than confrontation.

On the positive side, standing up for your brother will probably give him a lot of confidence. Just be careful.

4. Acuba403

If i do come out to my parents then I'll be in the same boat that your brother is, make sure he knows that you are there for him and he can talk to you and that there is a safe place for him to go in case it does become to much for him.