1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need resources to send to Dad

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nick1020, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Nick1020

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my dad a few weeks ago and yesterday we had an hour long talk about the issue. He was very sad and hard on himself for saying some negative things about gay people and for not being there for me when I was struggling to define my sexuality. While i appreciated this I did think he was a bit hard on himself. Later he expressed that he wanted to understand what I went through and that he wanted to learn more about my experience. It was very uncomfortable to see my dad like this, he was like a lost puppy. He wants to learn more. I didn't really know how to help him or what to tell him. I was hoping that this community which has helped me so much already could help my dad learn more about lgbt people, and the coming out process.

2. HeartAmelia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Nick,
    I know this might not be the most helpful answer, but have you tried Coming Out videos on YouTube? They're very inspiring and they describe perfectly what lots of people are going through. I highly recommend looking at some of these with him, especially Connor Franta's coming out video and Hannah Hart's coming out series, including her video Sticking Around. They're touching and they really make you see what these people have been through and what it's truly like to be gay.
    You might like to show your dad this website, too. How it's kind of a support group for queer people and how much it's helped you (if it has.) Maybe you could even set up an account for him. There's a Family and Friends section in the forums where I'm sure he could get some answers without you having to explain them to him personally.
    Hope I helped and good luck xx

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PFLAG and Gay Christian Network may be good places to start