1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close friends have been outing me behind my back for the whole summer

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by samsamsam, Sep 11, 2015.

1. samsamsam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys,

I have been reading this blog for a while, but I just got an account today.

Anyway, I am in an awkward situation. Until a couple of month back, I used to live in a country where homosexuality is illegal. Lucky for me all my friends are supportive and open minded about my sexuality.

In the weeks following my departure I have been getting messages on Facebook of the type "Are you gay? I heard you came out..." I denied it everytime, but didn't really think anything of it, people spread rumors about me all the time.

2 months ago I get a message from someone else saying "Don't even try, A is straight". A is my crush. No one knew about it outside my inner circle. I emailed my best friend, B, still in the country, to help me understand what was going on. B said she knew that someone was blabbing. B is pan, so she could understand how upsetting the whole situation was for me.

3 days ago I called another one of my close friends, C. I was just calling to catch up. Turns out I found out way more than I would have liked. He says he is sorry for outing me and that most of my close friends, basically everyone besides B, have told people. C is also the one who told A about it, a truly homophobic guy, who would be extremely disturbed if he found out I had a crush on him. C also told me that B was well aware of what was happening.

Yesterday I confronted B, asking her if she actually knew. B said that she figured it out, but she was afraid to ruin my friendship with everyone else, since B knew I was going to overreact.

I'm off to university in less than 2 weeks. Many of you might think "Why are you even worrying about it then?". Well, all of my inner circle is going to university in the same area, plans to meet up regularly, etc... Also, now it is dangerous for me to go back to my country.

I want to cut everyone who broke my trust out of my life. But I see no way to do that without jeopardizing my friendship with B. I really don't know what to do. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry that your friends didn't keep your sexuality in confidence. If you want to cut ties with your other friends, I'd suggest talking to B about it. Explain to her the consequences of your friends' actions, especially that they've put you at risk if you ever want to return to your home country. You may also want to have the same conversation with C, to ensure that it doesn't happen again. If B still thinks you're overreacting after that, she probably isn't the best friend.

3. FootballFan101

Sorry if this seems rude, but wasnt homosexuality oegal in Italy since the 1900s

4. samsamsam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, I am not talking about Italy, I moved a couple of months ago, sorry if it wasn't clear from the post.

5. FootballFan101

Nah its ok

6. LongOverdue

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately, there comes a time to cut the toxic people out of your life. Your friendship will never be the same if they have already betrayed your trust and put you at risk knowing the situation in your home country. Start a new life. You have the perfect opportunity once you start at the University.