1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ha ha I'm confused (first girlfriend, hoo boy)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ParrotBrat, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ParrotBrat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I really didn't know what to title this. I feel really all over the place.

Knew this girl for about two years. Best friends ever. First time I found someone who I really wanted to be around 24/7. She never bothered me, never got on my nerves, never wore out her welcome. First time I met someone, and I cared about whether or not they liked me as much as I liked them, the first time I cared what another person thought. About a year ago, I moved back in with my parents, about two hours from her. Lost my mind missing her. Wondered if I liked her as more than a friend. Lost sleep, couldn't eat, sometimes got physically ill worrying over my feelings for her and missing her like crazy. She visits Christmas 2014. Out of my head. Keep wanting to kiss her, hug her from behind, be cute as hell. Held the feelings in, visit went well. She went back to her town a few hours away. I'm still crazy thinking about her. She'd sometimes make jokes about us eloping, and my heart would explode, and I'd think, "Man, you gotta me more blunt with me; if you're suggesting something, then tell me!" In March 2014, got around to listening to a playlist she'd made me for Christmas (my life has been busy lately) -- they're all romantic, gay songs and I'm like "!!!!!!!!!! Is she telling me something? For real???" Lost my mind all over again. Finally told her how I feel via text message (poorly executed, but I was out of my head for a number of reasons and felt time was of the essence). Her response was along the lines of "holy shit I like you too but give me time to process this." End of her work day, we discuss it via text and we feel good about dating each other. She admits that while she didn't mean to make that playlist romantic, she did intend to tell me about her feelings for me that Christmas, but my family was acting up and drama got in the way, and she didn't feel the time was right. So we're kinda dating.

But it's been kind of weird and awkward. She's never dated a girl. I've never dated anyone. I've never kissed anyone, never had sex -- this is all new territory for me. And I'm from a conservative hometown, and I'm having all these feelings that i'm doing something wrong, that I shouldn't be gay, that's it' bad, blah blah. And I think I'm bi, and so my brain keeps telling me I should be with a man, not a woman, and on and on and on.

My girlfriend is five years older than me, and she seems to be much more comfortable with us dating; she's been out to her family for several years and has support from her gay aunt. She's supportive of me, but I can't help but feel like I'm holding us, as a couple, back with all my worries, and I wish I could just loosen up and go with the flow. I'm also adjusting to thinking of her as my girlfriend and not just my best friend. And I like thinking of her that way, but it's just bizarre to kind of re-meet her in a romantic way, or something. I always thought I'd wait until I was done with college and out in the world before I worried about dating, etc, but this girl just sneaked into my heart and now there she is and I'm not sure how to handle it.

We're taking it very slow, haven't kissed or anything. Cuddle some while watching Netflix. I keep wanting to hold her hand when we go walking but I'm afraid to, and I worry she wont' like holding hands. And as far as kissing her, I keep waiting for an opportunity to present itself, but I don't know. I'm so nervous and I don't know if she wants me to take the lead or what; we've kind of talked about it and how comfortable we are (we're rather blunt people, honestly), and she made it sound like she wants to try making out and fooling around, but she's going to let me take the lead, and I'm always just so anxious about it that I never do anything, and I feel like there's something wrong with me and I worry I'm afraid of commitment, etc. Part of me just wants to be like "hey you wanna try that kiss now" but part of me is like "that's so unromantic, don't do that."

I alternate between being very happy that I told her how I feel, and feeling like I've made a terrible mistake in telling her before I know my orientation, etc. Like I really do love her, I'm crazy about her, but part of me is telling me I'm messing up. I'm so scared of hurting her. I'm so scared I'm going to realize I'm straight and then I'll have to break up with her. I wish I had waited to tell her, until I got some experience under my belt, had a few flings with both men and women and seen what I think. I don't know. I don't have anyone to talk to about this -- I'm not out to my parents or hometown friends, and I'm not comfortable talking to my online friends, to whom I am out, about this.

My brother is straight and says he goes through this kind of thing with his short term girlfriends -- he's constantly breaking up with girls. He says it's because he over thinks, and maybe this over thinking is genetic. My mom's side of the family is quite neurotic and has many exciting mental things going on, so maybe this is just how my brain is and I need to just relax. I don't know.

I'm sorry if this is kind of all over the place; I tried to tidy it up and make it readable.

#1 ParrotBrat, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, the whole thing with labels really tire me. It should just be love, no genders, and no third parties. It should just be you and your loved one. It's okay to go slow, and honey its okay, there is no normality.
    You have to accept or reject your feelings.
    The most important thing though, is that you need to be with her to move through this. You worry a lot about possible risks, but you'll never know until you've tried.
    Its okay to see the danger in things, and its smart to do so!

But there's only one way to avoid ever getting into dangerous situations, and that's to avoid any kind of situation. Lock yourself away from the world. In other words, don't ever do anything interesting. Don't Grow. Don't Change. And what sort of life is that?

#2 Mero, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like what you have is wonderful. Relationships can be awkward sometimes and that's okay.

You say that you're both blunt people and that sounds good for setting up the lines of communication. If you worry that she won't like holding hands and you don't feel comfortable just going for it, ask her. If you feel awkward saying "How do you feel about holding hands?" ask her about PDA instead.

The same goes with kissing. You could talk to her about your fears and ask her to take the lead. There's also nothing wrong with saying "Kiss me" or "Can I kiss you?" From a girl who waited a year for her first kiss with her girlfriend, every opportunity that presents itself can be interrupted by doubt. But when it finally happens, you wonder why you haven't been doing it the whole time.

My girlfriend and I have a similar story. Beat around the bush with our feelings before she finally came out with it and we started dating. I'd never dated a girl before, she had. I'd given up on the idea of dating until after college until she came into my life. She's out to a supportive family; I'm closeted to a conservative one. I often worry that I'm going to realize that I'm straight and break her heart. We've been together two years and we often talk about marriage.

I find it helps to think about all the times we've had together, all the things I love most about her. Maybe you could listen to the playlist she made for you. Rather than saying don't worry so much, I'm going to suggest that when you do start to worry, focus your mind on other, more positive, things. You're into her, she's into you, and that's beautiful. :slight_smile: