1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standing up for my beliefs

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bubbles123, Sep 17, 2015.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So I've noticed - I guess I've known for a while - but I've noticed that whenever I have a belief of my own about something I tend to keep quiet about it. Then if other people have a different belief/reaction to something I don't mention it at all. Sometimes I'll even change my mind and agree with others just because I assume they're all right and I'm not.
    Anyone else like this?
    Also, I've been trying to get better at not doing this but it's hard. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work on speaking my own opinions more?

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am the total opposite so can't really relate as I love debates and can debate for hours on end defending my beliefs and ideals BUT I think I can give you some tips. :slight_smile:
    First, be confident. You believe in something or have something to add to a debate? don't hide! Your arguments and beliefs are as valid as anyone else's and while not everyone may necessarily agree with you, which is part of the fun and interest of a debate anyway (:wink:), it doesn't mean you are wrong. Most debates are simply a question of personal opinions and preferences, there is no right or wrong answers to those and no real winner so you don't lose anything in participating and you may actually learn a couple of new things while giving others a new perspective, so what's the risk ? :slight_smile:

I understand that it's not easy but you'll see once you start that it's actually liberating. I see and hear so many homophobic/xenophobic/ heinous or just uneducated comments over the net and in real life that I cannot just stand there and not confront them. I feel a certain satisfaction in pointing obvious flaws in someone's reasoning, pushing him/her to rethink and maybe even review their stance on certain subject (such as gay marriage for example) thanks to the arguments I give. The same way I like seeing people interested enough in the discussion we are having to point out my 'flaws' and enlighten me with a their own new perspective and arguments. It's very rewarding and wonderfully interesting. As long as you are respectful of other people's opinions and don't personally attack them you should be fine and receive the same respect towards your own opinions.

I am actually quite surprised to see you posting this, as I have noticed your posts on several occasions and always thought they were amazingly accurate and even quite brilliant at times so you should definitely gain confidence in what you have to say as you are definitely worth being heard. :wink:

Good luck to you Bubbles, I am sure you'll be fine. (*hug*)

3. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do the same thing all the time. Even when it's something I really care about, I can have a hard to expressing disagreement.

But the truth is, standing up for your beliefs isn't nearly as disastrous as it sounds, usually. Most people won't think less of you for it, and may even appreciate your honesty. (In real life, at least. On the internet, no controversy is too trivial for a flame war.)

I think debates can be really good for people, if they're done the right way. As long as both sides can trust that the other will be reasonable and respectful, arguing can help people become more open-minded and less insecure.

When you do run into people that are simply bigoted and hateful, it's good to call them out on it. All the same, it's best not to waste too much time. Their problem is often a matter of character, rather than poor logic. No matter how much you reason with them, you won't get to the heart of the issue.

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Thank you guys so much! This made me feel a bit better about it<3