1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you weigh looks in a relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Incredibull, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Incredibull

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I have a boyfriend who is awesome in everyway but I would rate him a 6.8 on my hotness scale. There are guys that I think are crazy cute and a crush I had a few months ago smiled at me and my knees almost gave 0.o. But, no one can replicate what we have emotionally. Out of curiosity which do you seek in a relationship. Hotness scale vs. Compatibility scale. With me and him its 6.8 vs 9.5. Any others?

2. IJustWantToLove

I'd definitely go for the emotional compatibility. If I like you as a person chances are I enjoy seeing you, no matter how hot you are.

3. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Compatability is most important for me personally. It's basically the foundation of a good relationship, and usually if I really like someone and we're compatabile, they're attractive in my eyes, no matter how good their looks are "objectively." I'm not going to say looks are not important at all and has 0 to do with anything, but attractiveness is very subjective, and the compatability is far more important to me.

#3 Alder, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  4. xfinitycomcast

I'm not gonna lie, most of the time my attraction will start with looks but it'll mostly just be like "hey they're kinda cute" but when it comes to long term relationships, i definitely put compatibility and personality are definitely over looks.

5. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would rate myself average, tbh. So I'm pretty much looking for emotions, not looks, since it's what I can offer~

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I think finding someone you are compatible with and can connect with definitely makes that person more attractive anyway. What good is someone being hot as hell if they act like a total ass and have zero personality?

#6 angeluscrzy, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  7. TheSeeker

I hate to weigh in on the "looks" side of things, but yeah it is pretty important. My last bf (who I loved SO much) I would rate a solid "5". While this wasn't a problem initially, it certainly became one after a few months because I just couldn't get excited about sex anymore, or rather, I could get excited about sex, but not sex with him. (No, I never cheated). It was definitely one of the factors that led to our eventual breakup. I hate to sound shallow, but I'm in my 20s and I want that physical spark in my relationship.

Granted, I agree as well that looks aren't everything. My first rebound after my breakup was an extremely hot guy who was an absolute asshole. It was an enjoyable few weeks but even listening to what he wanted to talk about was grating.

So, in short, you really need to find a balance of both looks and personality. And if you want to aim high in terms of physical attractiveness, don't forget that the street runs both ways. I just lost thirty pounds in order to get in the same league as the guys I want to date; I figure it's only fair.

Best of luck,

The Seeker

8. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't be attracted to someone I find ugly or otherwise really unattractive. That being said, I also can't like someone who only has looks going for them. Personality is very important.

9. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, there's a combination of both going on. I can't find someone attractive if their personality doesn't suit mine. For me, it's just about the chemistry and compatibility- which is a mixture of emotional compatibility, sexual attraction, and looks are a bonus.

10. judecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like if the emotional link is there, they become more attractive simply because of your connection. I don't know. Haha.
    I do, though, think that physical appearance (at least when you meet people in person rather than online) is kind of the part that happens first, if that makes any sense. You approach someone because they look cute. It depends on the situation, I suppose, and what you want out of a relationship (i.e. how much you value sex and intimacy, and other parts).