1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by marckusthehuman, Sep 19, 2015.

1. marckusthehuman

Hi, I'm Marckus. (!)

I've recently come out to my mom as transgender (FtM), but, I feel like she doesn't understand. I've talked about it with her (technically I wrote her long and detailed letters) but it's like she doesn't care. For example, after she read the notes we talked about a little but she refuses to call me the right name and use the right pronouns and insists that I continue to try to coheres me to buy feminine clothes (Which she knows I hate). She also, doesn't really support me either, she thinks it's just a phase and that "she went through the same thing at my age. I'm also having a hard time coming out to the rest of my family, mostly because I know they will say really harsh things about me, especially if they are angry with me.. (I'm mostly worried about my brothers). I've always had family problems so it's nothing new, but I know that they can hurt me and completely destroy my self esteem if they truly felt like doing so.. This affects me a lot because I'm looking to switch schools so I can transition completely and comfortably, but knowing that they have the ability to bring up my past, thus ruining everything I worked hard for really digs at my core :bang: .. Anyways, if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.
    Bye for now,
    Marckus J