1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My cousin today told me today that I've never been in love...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dyinginside, Sep 19, 2015.

1. dyinginside

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's killing me to love someone and not be able to share it with others. With my family, I'm pretty sure who will accept me and who won't, but I'm worried that some won't take me seriously. They might say something ignorant like it was because my mom was a single mother, that it's because I have Aspergers or I just have a bad view of men. I can tell my cousin in particular notices that I'm not in a relationship and she talks about it a lot. I want so badly to share this with people...and being accepted isn't necessarily the worst part. I worry about the ignorant comments. I care what people think and it's not so easy not to.

The way she said I've never been in love sounded condescending and I so badly wanted to tell her.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry that you can't share someone who is very important to you with them. I've been in a relationship with a girl for two years and it kills me that I can't tell anyone. Last week my mom made an off-hand comment that she'd met a guy at work that she thinks I would get along well with and I felt sick for hours afterward. It sucks. A lot. But it's not going to be forever.

It does sound like your family might come from a place of ignorance and there is always the chance that they can come around with education. It's up to you whenever it feels right to come out. Until then, I wish I had better advice, but sometimes the only thing to do is just let the comments go. When I was in uni, I made a lot of "I just want to focus on school" excuses as to why I wasn't seeing anyone (as far as I could tell them). It's not really any of your cousin's business whether you're in a relationship or not.