1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family therapy and homophobic parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by queercrossing, Sep 20, 2015.

1. queercrossing

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking around for a bit and have finally decided to post after having a bit of an emotional day today.

Before beginning, I want to warn that this post has some descriptions of conversion therapy, sexual violence, and suicide. If any of these are difficult for you to read about, please don't. I know this sort of stuff is hard and don't want to cause unnecessary pain to survivors of any of these things.

I am having some really intense relationship problems with my parents. My parents are definitely not the most accepting people in the world (read fundamentalist Christian) and unfortunately I am still financially dependent on them so I have to be in contact with them fairly regularly.

To give some background, I came out when I was 14. My mother sat me down and asked me point blank if I was "struggling with homosexual desires". Being the honest Christian boy that I was at the time, I answered "yes". While I was not forced to go to conversion therapy, I was manipulated into going. I was struggling with a lot of depression at the time and my parents told me that I would never come out of my depression if I "chose to live a gay lifestyle", failing to acknowledge the fact that calling gay men "pedophiles" and "broken" and assuring me that LGBT people could never be happy was a more realistic cause of the problem. I ended up in conversion therapy for three months, one of the most destructive experiences in my life to date. There it was either said explicitly or implied that my broken relationship with my father made me gay, that being effeminate was wrong, that ultimately I would wind up with HIV if I had sex with men, and my personal favorite, that I would ultimately die by suicide from the weight of disobeying the Lord.

Obviously this did a number on me and I grew up with intense internalized homophobia. I attempted suicide a few times and was finally taken to see a real professional after I had to drop out of eighth grade. Things seemed to get slightly better but when I turned 15, I went to a pride parade. This was my first exposure to the LGBT community as a person who was out so I went with a friend to the parade. There she introduced me to a friend of hers who was 20 at the time. When she left, he took me home and raped me. I was so desperate to believe that the LGBT community was a safe place for me and that my parents were not right about how broken they perceived LGBT people to be that I continued to see him and he continued to sexually abuse me regularly for three months. I recognize that this is no one's fault but his, but I still carry a lot of hurt as they later told me they had an idea that this was happening and did nothing about it because they didn't know what to do. I spent most of the rest of high school and the beginning of college completely shut down, heavily medicated, and going in and out of psychiatric hospitals until I finally had to move home with my parents and drop out of college because I couldn't keep up with the course work with my frequent hospitalizations. I finally decided that this was all far too much and made a final suicide attempt that nearly killed me.

Things have gotten so much better for me since then with the help of my current therapist who I have been seeing for years. I am functional again, back in college finishing my degree, and rebuilding my life. However, the issue of my parents remain. Thankfully they are going to go to family therapy with me this week. I just feel intensely scared for this as they still go to and financially support a church that actively performs conversion therapy. They also avoid conversations about going to any kind of group like PFLAG or even a support group for parents that are struggling with accepting their child's orientation. I feel frustrated by their insistence that they do actually support me and my orientation because their actions seem to contradict that not just in the past but also in the present. While I recognize I am very lucky that they will still support me financially and were even willing to meet my boyfriend last year, I feel really suspicious that deep down they do not like or accept this at all. Since my last suicide attempt, they have walked around on eggshells in many areas of our relationship because they are constantly afraid that I will do it again and are afraid to express their actual opinions. Unfortunately, this makes me very wary of taking their word particularly given that some of their actions still indicate a dedication to the ideology that caused me so much pain. I am trying so hard to accept that they may never accept me and also be open to the fact that they might change. I am just intensely scared of what they will say when I confront them about the church they go to this week. Does anyone have any advice for how I can prepare emotionally going into this?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am so sorry that they put you through all of that. I'm glad to hear that you're getting help and doing better. Remember that your therapist is there to support you and mediate the conversation with their parents. Presumably you know and trust them, now believe that they'll take care of you here.

You can also write your parents a letter. You don't have to give it to them, sometimes the act of writing to someone knowing they'll never see it can be therapeutic. It might help to get all of your thoughts and feelings out in a somewhat organized fashion before you're with them in therapy.

3. queercrossing

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aspen,
    Thank you for the response and support. I will try out the letter writing. I've heard of that before but never think to do it.

As for you, iamdesperate, you just engaged in something commonly known as victim blaming. Thankfully I am doing well enough that this no longer upsets me. However you need to tread a lot more carefully if you decide to comment on another rape thread. I said nowhere that I did not try to resist him and consent can also be withdrawn. If someone continues and you tell them to stop, that is rape. I will chalk this up to your age as I've been around a lot longer than you have. Regardless, educate yourself about exactly what rape entails as your comments might be triggering for others. Given that people recovering from trauma can be fragile and hurt, they do not need to be told that they are the cause of the problem. Best wishes to you and let me know if you have trouble finding good rape education resources. I would be happy to send them to you.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand how difficult it must have been for you to experience all that you've been through, and I think it's awesome that you have -- pretty much on your own -- gotten yourself in a better place and managed to come through the negative experiences as you have.

While there are a lot of shitty people who will manipulate and take advantage, in the gay community, there are also plenty of good people, and hopefully you'll continue to find that things do get better.

I second Aspen's suggestion on the letter to your parents. It seems like your parents at least understand the severity of what's going on, even if they don't yet really understand how much their actions contributed to it.

What do you know about the family counselor that you'll be going to? Is this a Christian counselor, or a regular one? If it is a Christian counselor, given the previous history, I think I would simply refuse to go. Tell them you're more than happy to go to family therapy, but only if it is with a state-licensed psychotherapist that does not practice Christian-centered counseling. They may balk, but my guess is that given the history, they may agree.

Also, have you looked into what counseling and psychotherapy options there are on your campus? Most colleges have a counseling center where you can get a certain number of free sessions (usually 10 or 12 per year) and often there are reduced-fee therapy options available as well. It's clear you're making great strides, but I think having a good therapist would help your process along considerably.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also wanted to say that the post in question by iamdesperate was *grossly* inappropriate, and has been removed from the thread, and the issue will be addressed by the staff. I was beyond appalled when I read it, for all the reasons you describe, and it is absolutely not the sort of post you should ever see at EC. Should you ever come across another post like that, in your own thread or any other, please report it so it can be immediately addressed by the staff.