1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was I being disrespectful to my mom?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jax12, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am at the moment no longer a religious person, however my family still is. The other day, I went to a local LGBT church (which was awesome) and one of the pastors there gave me a ride home.

Of course my mom asked who drove me home, and so when I told her he has a boyfriend, she shivered (kinda like when you get goosebumps for hear/seeing something gross). I media rely corrected her, and told her that it was disrespectful that she would do that in front of people like me, so I asked her to avoid doing that again.

Now this morning, she said that I was disrespecting her about her beliefs. Not sure what I did, but obviously something I said.

Anyone been through a similar situation? My boyfriend tells me that there's not much I can do if she's locked into her religion. As long as I'm happy and she can see that it's all that matters.

#1 Jax12, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

It's a tough one.
    The right thing to do would have been to explain to her that you felt she was disrespecting you. You can't tell her not to do it - that is disrespectful, but more because she's your mother and feels like she should be dominant over her children (the view many a parent takes).
    Mutual respect is ideal: if you have to put up with her reacting like that, she has to put up with the fact that you're not exactly straight and that you aren't comfortable with her reaction.

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent, but I'm pretty tired.
    I understand. Good luck getting that respect.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

If she isn't going to change her beliefs about homosexuality, you should talk to her and try to make her understand that even though she has those beliefs, it makes you feel upset when she shows it around you or acts disgusted about it. And that you'd prefer if she tried not to do those things in front of you. Just have the conversation as calmly as possible and try to talk really respectfully (even if you're really mad). Then she might understand more.
    I don't know if this will help with your mom but good luck.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the responses guys. Will have that discussion with her when I feel better about it. I guess I should have been more genuine and direct, saying how I felt uncomfortable in the way she reacted.

Thanks again.