1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boyfriend going to a different college. Feeling heartbroken

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Void Puppy, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Void Puppy

So we're both high school seniors.

He's a top notch student, he has a 4.0 gpa and a 1400 SAT (out of 1600).

Me? 2.4 gpa, 1100 SAT.

Now there are three universities at play here. For the sake of annonymity I will describe them as such:

College A: this school is a solid school, it's 45 minutes from our houses, he can get in with his eyes closed, and there is a slim chance I can get in as well.

College B: This college is super easy to get into, but has a good program. I can get in for sure, he's not even going to bother to apply.

College C: This school is right next to college B. It's extremely selective, and he can get in without too much trouble. I have no chance whatsoever.

Now, if I don't get into college A (the chances are not very good for me), I'll have to choose between going to college B or going to community college.

For him, he can choose either school.

Now the problem arises. He told me today that he's most likely going to go to college A. This is a problem for me, because if I don't get in, we'll be separated (the other two schools are 4 hours away). So if he chooses college A, we're going to have to break up after this year.

If he chooses College C, we both go off to college and stay together.

I'm feeling completely heartbroken. I doubt I can get into the college he wants to go to, and it doesnt seem like he's going to go to the college near the one I /can/ get into. I don't know what to do. He means the world to me and it makes me sick thinking about having to move away from him and losing him like that.

He seems pretty deluded and thinks I can get into college A for sure, even though it's not likely at all, so he's not worried about it. meanwhile I'm literally feeling sick about the whole issue.

I don't know what to do or think.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want, tell him that it's unlikely you could get into A, but ultimately it's his choice where he wants to attend. I think you should try to shoot for what is best for you, too.

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I say apply to all just to see your chances. No harm in that.

Just wondering, why do both of you have to break up? Is it because it'd be too difficult to stay together, meeting new people & all.

4. Void Puppy

It's because we'd be 4 hours away from each other. I want to be optimistic but I somehow doubt we'll make it through that :/

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2015 at 11:13 PM ----------

I have told him many times, he just doesn't believe me. He's convinced im going to get in, so he isn't worried in the slightest.

5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

That's not too bad. At least it's not in a different state. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But, I wouldn't worry about it until you apply & see your results.

6. Gen

Gen

Why does he want to go to college A over college B?

If the only reason that he wants to go to college A is because he believes that you will both be able to attend, then he would likely choose college B if he is accepted there and you are rejected at A. If on the other hand he is rejected by B and you are rejected by A, then the best thing to do would be to stay together and see how the relationship manages.