1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you ever get married?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mero, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why or why not?

2. UniqueJourney

I was married for 13 years, and after the hell I went through I have no interest in getting married ever again. Marriage does not guarantee love, commitment, fidelity, or anything else. It is a legal contract and speaks nothing to the character of the individuals bound therein.

I don't need a piece of paper too validate my love. Nor do I believe in giving the government any say in my relationships.

3. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well said sir!

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would. I do see it as a promise and I love weddings and it's very romantic! I'm sure I'd love the legal benefits, too, and it would be amazing...

But, if I was dissatisfied, or something changed after the marriage, I wouldn't hesitate to leave...because the only reason I would like to get married is because it would make me happy. But if it's making me unhappy, then I'd walk away.

5. AKTodd

I did get married.

We'd already been together for nearly 20 years, so it was mainly for all the legal rights that simply kick in all at once for married couples (love is great, but tax benefits are forever). And because we could now. There was a bit of romance to it, but not a lot.

We had friends and coworkers getting more excited about it then we were. We just did a civil ceremony at the courthouse, dressed in regular clothes, and while we didn't quite swing by the grocery store on the way home to pick up some milk, we probably would have if we had needed any.

We did do dinner at the house of a friend who attended the ceremony and had a very nice dinner at a gay owned restaurant that weekend (the owner came over to congratulate us and made us a special dessert not on the menu), but that's about it.

Todd

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're getting married next month. We've been together for 17 years so, like Todd said, it's really about the legal benefits. What can I say? I'm a banker and I just can't bear the thought of my retirement accounts going into required minimum distribution for my partner if I should die. Romantic, right?

It's kind of funny but I really always sort of thought of us as married. While I prefer the term partner I would occasionally refer to him as my husband. My Father was an artist and in my extended family when you got married, along with the traditional gift, you got a full sheet painting. It was your wedding painting. When my partner and I bought our home we came back from the closing to find a parcel--it was our wedding painting! I remember once having a discussion with my Mother (my Mormon, suburbanite, Republican mother) about our taxes and having her say "I don't understand why you don't just file jointly." When I responded "because it's not legal," she looked quizzically at me. When I responded "you have to be married to file jointly," she still looked confused. Finally I just said "we're not married," and she said "oh, yeah I forget that."

So I guess we'll finally have the piece of paper.

7. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was married to a woman in my early 20's for a year but that was a train wreck. Was in ltr with mother of my children for 14 years. Now that I'm out, I don't look at marriage or any of that any differently. I would absolutely get married again if I met a nice guy I was compatible with. And yeah while I do agree that it is "just a piece of paper" in some ways, I think the meaning of marriage lies more in the way each person feels about it going into it.

8. gamergirl99

Honestly, I would love to get married. As long as I know my girlfriend well and we don't have a unhealthy relationship. I want a stable relationship for a long time and then, maybe I'll decide to marry at a right time. <3 ^-^ After being married, I would promise her and myself that I would love her for eternity and always take care of her.

But then again, I feel like marriage is like chains around you. What if you're fighting with your partner and they just leave and come back after a while. Is it really worth it? Of course, it's something to think deeply about and it's a hard decision..

9. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unless I was with someone that really wanted to get married, I wouldn't, because I just don't see the point. Marriage is pretty much meaningless to me.

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think marriage should ever feel like it chains you down. Marriage is fine and wonderful provided those two people are committed to each other and both believe in the sanctity of marriage. It always seemed odd that gays were denied marriage so long under the guise of it being against the sanctity of the institution of marriage or whatever. Yet two straight people could have a shotgun wedding in Vegas, when they barely know each other and that doesn't destroy the idea of the Institution? Seems to me straight people have been defiling the idea of marriage since its inception. Maybe we should take it upon ourselves to show them how to do it right.

#10 angeluscrzy, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  11. Acuba403

I plan on it, I'm going into the military so I would like to before I deploy for the first time and if anything happens I want my significant other to get my flag not my parents

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was little I often dreamt of getting married and starting a family, and it's not any different now. ^^

13. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only to someone I love deeply. I am not going to get hitched easily, I want to wait at least a year or two before even thinking about getting engaged to someone.

14. SHIELDAgentAlex

Definitely, if it was with the right guy. I can see myself spending my whole life with a great dude.

15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably won't ever get married. I'm not entirely averse to the idea, but I don't think I'm very compatible with others - to put it nicely.

Marriage can be wonderful, if with the right person. I hold a traditional view of it (extended to all genders of course) and do think its important.

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eventually, but not for a long time. I'm in a great relationship now but I want to feel like I have my own life headed in the right direction before I make that much room in it for someone else.

17. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've thought about getting married next year because I think I've finally found someone who understands me, makes me laugh and loves me just as much as I love them. And I cannot imagine not having this person in my life. However, we shall see what happens because after all I am still very much into women.

18. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am married. We have been together for 11 years and our lives are so intricately linked that it seemed the right thing to do and it tied up all of the legalities concerning finances, pensions, home ownership and inheritance.

I didn't think much about it beforehand, but in the moment when we stood facing each other to exchange the vows of marriage the world momentarily stopped. We both really, really, really struggled to maintain composure as we said the words to each other. There is something very powerful about that moment and you only really understand it once you have done it.

Am I glad I did it? Yes, without a doubt. Everytime I look at my wedding ring I feel very happy.

19. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love this Patrick :slight_smile:

In my case even as a child I had always told my parents that I was never gonna marry or have children. It is still my sentiments today. HOWEVER, yes sometimes I think about the highlighted statement Patrick has mentioned. Who knows I may make a turn around when I meet the right guy, at the right place, at the right time. :slight_smile:

20. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Personally, considering I'm in love with a plush doll, I highly doubt it will happen. I know there aren't any laws saying I can't, but it just seems like it would feel strange to do so, even to me. My attraction is purely romantic, and there's no need to justify that I love my doll by doing such a thing. My relationship is fine how it is.