1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does this mean? Religious homophobia

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Saintly89, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Saintly89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so I have a "friend" who is religious and they say that they pray for me. I'm agnostic so when I asked them if I could pray for them I meant it as a hypothetical what if I did. They said I could not pray for them because to pray for others you "have to have your life right", which I assume is a reference to me being gay. This seems strange and wrong, and reinforces my cynicism about religion. It seemed wrong. I didn't think Christians would have a problem with someone else praying for them. Does anyone with more experience with religion and religious bigotry know why someone would feel that way?

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think religion is just full of hypocrisy as it is.

3. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally believe that's bs, because I believe that anyone can pray regardless of what they've done or who they are. But, your friend or their church may not believe that. I think your friend is trying to say that they care about you, they're just doing it in a unique way.

4. Acuba403

And the the fact that Christians are so homophobic is total bs because they are just taking bits and pieces of the bible and not reading it, no to versus later after stating homophobia is an "abomination" (I'll get to that later) it also says the mixing fabrics is a also an abomination and the anyone that lies will be put to death. The bible also says that you can sell you chilldren into slavery, and anyone that works on a Sunday will be put to death. There are so many rules that people chose not to follow but then still use the bible as a weapon against us. The word abomination has changed meaning over the MANY years that the bible has been around, back I Jesus's time it didn't mean a Moral wrong it meant a ritual wrong, two completely different meanings. Tell your friend to really read the laviticus (the chapter where it condemn homosexuality) and to contemplate what it means not just what it says. Unless he has the thought that what God said and he's not to be questioned Is law he should come around.

5. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Religious is something between yourself and your god.
    Other people (even those with the same religion as you) don't have the right to interfere with how you understand and follow your own religion.
    Religion is mostly about logic , unfortunately most of the "religious" people just follow what they read in the book literally word by word.

For example, I'm a Muslim and I believe that me being born gay is not a sin, cos >insert logical stuff here<
    I also think that there are more important stuff that prayer, for example you see people not getting their job done or not helping their friends out just to go and pray , while it should be the other way round.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not all Christians are homophobic. and for the record, if someone speaks to God no matter what their life, belief, or lifestyle He listens. He gives no regard to who you love, who you sleep with or dont sleep with. He is only concerned by what is truely in your heart. so if you want to pray, then Pray.

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Okay, I'm somewhat religious and Catholic and I completely disagree with what your friend said. If you want to pray for someone and your heart's in the right place and you believe in that stuff, then it's not wrong or invalid.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you asked your friend exactly what they are praying for? Are they petitioning God for something in particular? If they are asking God to change you it says far more about them than it does about you actually and I would suggest that they don't have their own life in order.

Anyone can pray. Most religious people offer their prayers to, or channel their prayers through God (although the definition and understanding of God will be very different, according to their own set of beliefs) but some people use prayer like meditation, as an act of contemplation or to 'send out' hope and goodwill and that's a very generous act that anyone is capable of.

God is probably more interested in your prayers anyway. 'Good' religious people often pray out of habit and have a tendency to moan, so He must get really tired of hearing the same old shit everyday. I feel sorry for God.. just imagine how it must feel to hear the likes of Kim Davis and Pat Robertson squawk on at you about same sex marriage all of the time. At some point God must ask Himself if they will ever shut the fuck up. :lol:

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well said Patrick.:eusa_clap

10. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *shakes head and sighs* Another reason for me to distance myself from Christianity. (I know not all Christians are like that but a good plenty are especially where I live so until I live somewhere else that's better I'm just gonna stay away from that stuff) Whatever that friend says about that shouldn't mean anything to you. I know people who have been hurt more by that sort of thing so don't let it get to you.

11. Khaleesix

I'm a Christian (by name only). I was never homophobic and seeing as I'm bi I will never be homophobic. I know Mormons and other Christians who aren't like "GET BACK SPAWN OF SATAN" but aren't running around with their rainbow flag. You really shouldn't group all Christians together and say they're all homophobes because in reality most of them aren't. Yes there are probably more homophobes found in religion but they shouldn't represent religion as a whole. Also I'm not really Christian, I just believe in God but that's about it, nothing else in Christianity I follow closely.