1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homophobic family members???

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by alexandrite, Oct 10, 2015.

1. alexandrite

hi...idk what my sexuality is but I know it's definitely not straight. I'm very afraid of coming out to my family in the future for several reasons. first of all, my mom is completely accepting of gay people. but when I was growing up my dad always made horrible gay jokes and he has said its disgusting to be gay but he also says he has no problem with gay people?? my brother on the other hand is a nightmare because he says all gay people and straight people who support gay people are going to hell and that im disgusting for supporting gay people (little does he know I'm not even straight) and he used the f slur for gay people all the time just to make me mad. around a year ago, my parents were sure I was gay so my mom asked me if I was and I had a panic attack because I wasn't ready to come out...I convinced her that I was straight somehow and my dad acted weird around me for like two weeks. I just don't know what I'm going to do and any support or advice is helpful :frowning2:

2. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whatever your sexuality is , its ok! There is no need to be worried about not knowing it either, many people are confused and you don't need to define yourself into fixed labels. You would know eventually :slight_smile: regarding your family. They maybe ignorant now but if they truly love you they would change their ways to understand you and accept you for who you are. It may take time but it will happen. Having said that , its not absolutely necessary to come out right away. You can take your time . meanwhile you could visit a therapist to figure out what you are. They wouldn't tell you directly because they can't but they can guide you to self realization :slight_smile:

3. TheRealTheaJane

You dad may surprise you! My grandad, father and mother are all homophobic, transphobic and sexist, but out of them only my mother is reacting badly: My dad is quite supportive, and my grandad just doesn't broach it and ignores it. If you do ever tell him, you should be scared! But also prepared that he might not take it as badly as it seems :slight_smile: x

4. tourettesqueen

I think you shout wait until you figure things out to come out.

5. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Eh.
    He'll get over it.