1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This isn't lgbt related but I don't know who to talk to

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Unicornswag, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Unicornswag

Sorry.

I just need help with my best friend. The short story is she is depressed and has bad anxiety and I want/ need to do something to make her feel better. Even if it's something as small as buying her chocolates. Please could you help me and think of something I can do or get her that will cheer her up? I care about her more than anyone and I want her to be happy. Any help will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, short version is that you can't "make" her happy - but you can continue being a good friend, bring her things, or just spend time with her, depending as she's comfortable with any or all of the above. You could try to encourage her to be more active - even just going for a walk together. Or, if you think it would help, encourage her to see a counselor, assuming she's able to do so. But ultimately, the feeling better part is up to her.

3. warthog

Hi,

So sweet of you to think of your friend and wanting to be supportive, she's lucky to have you. however, I think the only person who could truly know what your friend wants is you, being her best friend. what does she like the most ? what cheers her up ? what does she need right now ? you should have some idea.
    Sometimes just you being there and being supportive is enough. try to get her out of whatever situation that's causing her trouble, by taking her to a movie, going on a camping trip or something just to get away.

Hope this can inspire you

4. Unicornswag

Thank you both, you helped a lot :slight_smile:

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might ask to go out to somewhere that's not too busy/noisy like a walk in the park. Actually, a picnic would be fun, too. Just the act of walking outside can help both the anxiety and depression, but it's not magic. If she has severe problems, don't hesitate to suggest seeing a professional counselor.

6. Willa

Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just be present. Your friend is going to be absolutely surrounded by people asking her what they can do, asking her if she's okay, wanting to fix her and cheer her up and make her be better.

She is not just going to get better.

The best thing to do is to show her - through being conscious of her needs - that it's okay for her to feel depressed. It's okay for her to feel anxious. She does not need to cheer up and she does not have to relax. It's totally fine for her to be where she is and to feel what she's feeling. Going out with some friends? Pay attention to her body language. Is she getting tense from being around too many people? Ask her to step out with you for a minute to have a private conversation. It's small things, like not freaking out when she cancels plans because she "just can't do it today." Is she having a day when everything sucks and she can't get out of bed? Go to her house in your pajamas and get in bed with her rather than making her get up. Have a lazy day together. Watch Netflix and eat comfort food.

At some point, when she's having a good day and she's feeling pretty steady and safe, sit down with her and have a conversation with her about her triggers. Let her tell you candidly what makes her depressed, what makes her anxious. Ask her what she needs when she's having a bad day. Does she need snuggles, or space? Does she need to talk, or does she need to just be held in a quiet, safe room? What's her favorite depression food? Favorite anxiety movie? Give her one of your jackets to curl up in when you can't be with her. That makes anybody feel loved! If you know the little things, you can help her get out of uncomfortable situations discreetly. And sometimes when someone with an emotional disorder is having a bad day, they can't say what they need, so it's good to know what to do ahead of time, so you don't have to stress them out by making them tell you.

But the MOST IMPORTANT THING is to continue to treat them like a normal human being. Don't tiptoe around them. They're still a normal person. They still have a sense of humor. They can probably still be pretty tough. They can still take care of themself for the most part. There's no need to baby them.