1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I break it to him?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jax12, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been seeing someone for 2 months now, but things are starting to die out and I'm feeling somewhat constrained in the relationship. I don't want to end things because there's someone else I want to see; I want to focus on my career and just enjoy life on my own.

How do I break it to him? Things to note here:

- He's 3 hours away from me (not exactly "local")
    - I do not want to tell him over the phone or through text
    - He does not know I want to break up with him, but I have been texting him much less and he may/may not have an idea that something is up

We haven't come up with a date to meet up yet, but it's soon. I don't want him to book a couple days off and end up telling him when we meet, you know?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    However you do it, tell him before he makes bookings, etc. that may not be non-refundable. It may not be the worst thing in the world to lose money on a hotel room or whatnot, but it's better not to let him spend the money when you know where this is going.

I would suggest as "in person" as possible - video chat, perhaps. Have you met prior to this? If not, and the relationship has existed over phone, chatting, etc., then it's perfectly fine to end it on that level. If you've met, but it's not practical to get together in person just to break up, then I think that's fine in that case too.