1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Straight Alliance at school?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by alexandrite, Oct 14, 2015.

1. alexandrite

I really want to join GSA at my high school, but I'm afraid of doing so. I don't want anyone to know that I like girls...my friends keep asking me to join, but I'm afraid of what my parents will think. My parents already asked me if I was lesbian because I was just hugging my best friend?? They are quick to jump to conclusions, and my dad and brother are homophobic. Also, a lot of the people who are in GSA are made fun of a lot for "being gay" even though there are a good amount of straight people in the club. I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but it's hard not to....any words of advice would help me greatly!

2. guitar

It's up to you if you want to join, but I always encourage people to join clubs. It's a great way to meet new people, and it will help you to understand your sexuality more and gain additional support. LGBT people have enough problems with being accepted, and facing mental health issues. Having a group to support you can be a wonderful thing in your life. I wish GSA's had existed when I was in school a decade ago (and that I'd had the balls to join). Would have saved me a lot of grief through my 20s...