1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

going to pride, need help!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by heyKittie, Oct 16, 2015.

1. heyKittie

So I went to my familys counseler the other day and told her everything about how I wasn't straight, and how my family and church were kind of bothering me. I talked about it with the counseler, and afterwards I told my mom and dad seperatly that I didn't like it when they talked about lgbt related stuff they way they do because i felt like they were putting down or disrespecting them a little bit. I asked them what my counseler said: if I was gay what would you do? They both said they would still love me but that they would be... disproving of it. So now they basically know that I'm at least very tolerant of the lgbt community.

Next week I am going to Columbia with my family for the State Fair. I actually got them to go because I wanted to somehow get to the Pride parade and festival going on there. So here s my problem: now they know how I feel about lgbt stuff, and they already don't really like that. But when we get there, I'm not sure how I'll get to the parade. My parents wouldn't let me go around by myself, and they would need to know where I am. I know that if I ask my parents if I can go to the parade and or fesival, they wont let me. And they'll throw every reason in the book at me: we aren't going with you and you caƱt go by yourself, its too innappropriate, there's nudity, there's crazy people, its against our religion, its not right. 1, there's a no nudity rule, 2, I have my own beliefs/opinions, 3 id be fine by myself or id go with my sister even though I hate her. 4, its probably a nice environment actually.
    THis is the whole reason I fucking tricked my parents into making a 2 hour drive to columbia and I really, really want to go.
    What should I do? Should I just try to talk to my parents, or sneak there? I'm going one way or another.

2. waternation

waternation Guest

Hey, I went to pride last year. Tbh, it was super packed and I went there by myself because I wasn't out to anyone yet, but I'm also a lot older. The one in Australia might be different to the one you're going to, but the atmosphere was generally VERY friendly and everyone was really accepting no matter what others were dressed liked, or if they were kissing/holding their partners, or just being comfortable with being themselves, plus there were a lot of police (I'm assuming it was for the possibility of hate speech/violence intruding from the outer community) so I felt really, really safe.

That being said, considering that you are 14 I would still strongly advise that you go with someone who is older because it can get really, really crowded, and there is the possibility that you could get lost, or stuck, or... idk

You could wait a couple of years and go by yourself, or you could go with your sister... if you really trust her not to tell your parents as they don't sound too accepting, although at least they said they would still love you... it might make the next few years that you're at home a bit harder, though. Or sneak there by yourself... maybe for a short time. But at least tell your sister that you'll be back in a couple of hours/by a certain time, and then that way if you aren't they can at least check on you, and there's some sort of safe-guard in place if you do get lost or something... If you do this, I would also get in touch with the organizers and ask what sort of security they have there on the day, just to make sure there'll be enough police presence/a safe environment.

Tbh, when I was 14 I probably would have done the last option, but remember to put your safety first and go with someone else if you can :eusa_doh: and you probably should go with someone else... Or wait a couple of years to go, if you can.

#2 waternation, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  3. heyKittie

I really want to go this year, so I might find a friend to meet there and have my sister at least drop me off around there. Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it a lot. :slight_smile:

#3 heyKittie, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  4. waternation

waternation Guest

You're welcome^^ and I'm really glad you decided to meet up with a friend!! Hope you have a great time :slight_smile: