1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I confront my boyfriend about him being on a geosocial networking app?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Estragon84, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all (sorry for the long post in advance):

So I'd really appreciate some advice on how to approach this topic with my boyfriend. Some background info:

I had just gotten out of a long-term relationship a few months back. After the breakup, it was my plan to take some time and just be single (not hooking up or anything, but just being by myself a bit). Since it was still summertime, I was looking for tennis partners to be able to play a lot, so I downloaded some social apps, one particularly popular with the gay community (that's used heavily for hookups) just hoping to meet some people. I downloaded the latter maybe hoping to meet some other gay guys, since I don't have many, or any, gay friends.

So of course, since I wasn't really looking for anyone to date seriously, I find someone on the latter app, and when we first talked on that app for a really long time and planned a date soon after. Of course that went amazingly well and fast forward a few months later, we're dating and are a couple. (We had the exclusivity talk and became an "official" couple 2 weeks ago after a few months of dating). I deleted the app pretty quickly (after date 5) since things were going super well, and I had no use for it. I just assumed (I know...) that he had done the same.

So a few weeks ago, my boyfriend had to travel to Canada on business. He made some comment about how "he was very popular at the airport with the older, discreet guys" and then said something like "oh, I just got onto (geosocial app) because I was curious to see who was around". (I didn't say anything about it, but it did raise my antennas, however, I decided to let it slide because who hasn't been curious about who's around?). Anyways, the other day, we had gone on a date, and he made some comment about this app, so I got curious again, but didn't say anything. Later that night, when I got home, I downloaded the app again, and signed in, did some searching, and lo and behold, there he was. Granted, his profile didn't have any solicitation for sex or anything (as it didn't when we first met), but based on previous conversations that we've had, I know he had used it in the past for sex.

It's been a few days and I'll randomly sign in, sometimes I'll see him, sometimes I won't. But now I'm concerned that he may still be cruising around. I mean, it seems like the relationship is going really well: he's met my family and friends and vice versa (and it's the first time we've both introduced a guy to the fam/friends). And I really like him and the feeling is mutual.

So the question: How to I approach this topic with my boyfriend? I don't want to be sneaking around, hoping to catch him. I'll be going away for a few days, and I'm almost tempted to create a profile to see if he'll catch the bait, but I would hate to be that distrusting. In my defense, I have a pretty shitty history with sneaky guys so it's made me very distrusting and insecure in relationships.

What do you recommend I do? It's really starting to weigh on me. Is it possible that he's just on there for curiousity? Should I be concerned? How do I bring it up? Should I create the fake profile?

ANY ADVICE WOULD PUT MY MIND AT EASE... Thanks a million in advance!

#1 Estragon84, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seems strange to me. You said that when you yourself downloaded the app you weren't looking for sex or dates. He's not hiding the fact that he's using it, which it seems to me he would if he was doing something nefarious. So what makes you think something else is going on? I mean I guess you should discuss it if it bothers you but I think you should take some time to fully consider why it bothers you first.

3. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the quick reply! How does this seem strange to you? (I'm genuinely asking). I mean... it seems like it's a daily thing, so that's why I'm concerned. I can tell you straight up that it's my insecurity that's propelling this. I have a history of meeting really crappy people who have ended up deceiving me and I'm scared that history will repeat itself. It's true, if he were doing something sneaky, he would probably be more discreet about it, but the irrational, insecure part of me is telling me that he's probably just looking for something else, or something better.

4. nate16

Hey there, I totally resonate with what you're saying. I am in the same exact boat. I'm dating a guy who's a little older and still dont know super well. We're exclusive, and have both deleted the app that we were on.

Yeah, I have some insecurity around the app, especially if I'm starting to get serious with someone. The app is often used by people looking for sex, etc. If anything, it makes me feel like they're searching for greener pastures, even if that's not the intent. I think it's fine and healthy to find other guys attractive when you're with someone, but having the app makes me feel like it's an intentional in some way. It's one thing to see a guy in passing, but ogling at profiles is another, especially since you wont really know what's transpiring in the conversation (and I'm not someone who feels comfortable looking at a partners conversations).

I think you brought up a good point about him being open about using the app, etc, but to a person with anxiety and a history of being put into crappy situations, it doesn't necessarily cancel the feelings. In some cases, it can make it worse.

I agree that having a discussion about how you're feeling is important. I think that online apps have complicated the building of trust between people in a few profound ways. I'm not sure if this helped, but just wanted to let you know that I'm with you on this subject.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess what I meant seems strange was your reaction, but I suppose I can see where you are coming from. I'm not really the jealous type and am frankly very trusting and I've never really been burned for it so I guess I just come from a very different perspective. I'll stick with advising you to really get a handle on how you feel and why it bothers you because I would strongly suggest that the conversation be about you and how you feel rather than him and what he's doing.

6. CameOutSwinging

This is great advice! I couldn't say it better.

7. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like to add that whenever you decide to approach him about it that you try to take a conversational tone. Don't go in expecting a confrontation, this could turn really ugly if you put him on the defensive from the word "go," rather try and see where he is coming from (as well as explaining your side) before drawing any conclusions or jumping to any assumptions. And also, go with an open mindset. Don't let the conversation devolve into "Leave the app or else..."

#7 RawringSnake, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the great advice so far! (Please keep it coming!) I've only been out for 2 years so I'm sure that doesn't help with my issues since I feel like I'm still learning a lot.

I realize that most of this is caused by my insecurities in myself and in relationships. For example, he's a really busy guy and so am I, but we still manage to see each other a lot. So that should be a good sign to me. However, my anxiety and paranoia gets to the point where when he goes home, I start worrying that now he's going to take advantage of that time to find a hook up or find someone better.

My issues stem from a lot of really shitty things that have happened to me and although I've kind of touched on my issues with insecurity and anxiety with him, I haven't gone into detail yet. (It's pretty heavy and I would rather this conversation happen organically rather than just trying to force it for the sake of him knowing.)

He hasn't ever given me a reason to distrust him, so it's unfair to him that I do so by default. It's not fair to compare him to my past relationships because he's totally removed from all that. I'm just scared that I tend to attract a certain type of guy and that he might be no different.

I'm thinking I might just table the "issue". When the time comes to discuss my insecurities with him in detail, then maybe I'll bring up my feelings (in a general sense regarding the app) since I don't want to be accursatory.

9. CameOutSwinging

We all bring our own baggage into new relationships. So it's totally natural for you to have fears based on your past experience. It's really good that you can identify that these are your issues and not his (ie: he's not giving you a reason to not trust him) and when you do calmly and openly speak to him about this stuff, you should make that clear as well.

I don't know that tabling the issue is the best idea, as it is something that is bothering you, and communication in a relationship is quite important. It could build into even more of an issue for you in time. Better to deal with it now in a non-confrontational way than later on when you may feel less calm, less trusting, and more angry.

Good luck with whatever you decide!