1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to get this of my chest.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dembendlledl4li, Oct 21, 2015.

1. dembendlledl4li

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys,

I had a really hard time with the thought of coming out. I isolated myself from friends and family and ran away from reality. I started to smoke weed a lot because it would clear my mind for a while. But that didn't fade away my problems. Before my isolation i had a friend that i'd like to call my best friend. I'm an introvert and most of the time he started the conversations. He started hanging out with other guys, which where the friends of my little brother. I was way too scared to text him because of the possibility to be rejected, but i'd overcome that and after that we met a few times. He mistakingly said my brothers name when he was talking to me and that really hurt me. I told him that i hated it that he's hanging out with my brother, and told me that i had to learn to talk to my brother, but later he said that he doesn't hang out that much with him. I slept at his that night and told him i was gay the morning after. He thought it was a joke, and i told him it was. I was crying the whole day after that because i was ashamed of myself. I texted him that it wasn't a joke, and that i like girls too (which i don't). He told me that he doesn't mind.

Week after that he threw a party and i wasn't invited, but my brother was. I asked why but he said that he didn't throw a party. I saw him later that night and wanted to talk to him but he rejected me unfriendly. I was really hurt and tried to contact him, and we met a few times. Eventually I told him that i was gay. I wasn't sure if he still wanted to be friends, or that he's just friendly and faking it. He made plans with me but canceled them, and told me he had to study, but he was just meeting up with other friends. I was hurt once again, and it just felt like he didn't care. He texted me, if i would like to chill, but i always rejected because of fear.

I told a few other friends i'm gay too, but that didn't go well either. So i was alone, and moved to berlin for and internship that's part of my study. That friend texted me once more if i wanted to hang out. I told him a was in Berlin. He acted all surprised but i knew he knew because of my brother. I told him he could come visit me if he wanted but he never did.

I gratulated him for his birthday a few months later and we had a really great talk, just like old times. Eventually i called my mother and she told me he and my brother are going to move in together and it just broke my heart. I cried all day of disappointment, anger and jealousy.

It's over a year ago since i came out to him. Last week we met by chance, he was with his friends and my brother. We just said hi, but that's it. And now it's just like one year ago. It's like our friendship never happened. I'm very depressed now. It's the first thing i wake up to, and the thing that's keeps me from sleeping. I check his online status like every half our and it hurts so bad that he has always the same last seen time like my brother.

I don't know what to do. Maybe i feel better if i told him how much this hurts, but he would just think that i have to move on, and it would be strange if i texted him out of the blue about this. I want to tell him in person, but i don't think the two of us will ever meet again. I really tried to move on, but how is that possible if he's so close to my brother now? I get headaches, and this is affects my whole life.

Thanks for reading. Here's a dancing banana(!)

Any reactions would be kind.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you have developed a kind of infatuation with this guy, even though he seems to have done his best to keep you at arms length all of the time and now is the time to put it behind you and move on. It's absolutely essential that you set your mind to it so you can pick up the pieces and begin to move forward with your life. While you continue to wallow in all of these feelings that are akin to grief you are giving up your strength and power to this guy who has really been quite hurtful to you in some of his actions. Maybe you need to ask yourself if he is worth all of the emotional energy? Is it worth clinging onto thoughts and feelings for someone who seemed to deliberately lie and deceive you? Personally, I'd say it's not.

It will be hard for you, but you need to accept that whatever relationship you had with this guy is over and stop checking his online status and resist the temptation to make contact with him. While you are doing things like that you are locking yourself in an endless cycle of distress and progress will continue to elude you.

I'm really sorry that you have experienced so much pain and heartache over this and I'm not going to pretend that it will be easy to move on. You will have to be quite strict with yourself and determine to take small steps each day. If you can do that you will get there.

If you are struggling with your feelings and you want to express or vent your hurt, anger or frustration, please do so, but be careful not to turn those feelings on yourself. We are here for you, if you need people to talk to.

3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I went through a very similar situation. I was completely infatuated with this guy in my class. I managed to get his number (as acquaintances), and we talked a whole lot. I quickly developed an infatuation with him and I just couldn't get him off my mind. Every moment of the day I asked myself, "What is he doing?". I would text him all the time, and there were days where we would text each other for hours.

He was the one I came out to first, which he accepted, particularly because he was gay as well. I thought the stars were aligning and he was "the one". I told him I liked him, and he basically avoided me and rejected what I said.

I spent the rest of the year sitting two seats from him, several hours a day, several times a week, knowing that he knows I like him, and knowing that he's keeping me at an arm's length away.

Eventually, though, I got over obsessing about him by keeping myself busy and hanging out with different friends. I feel like you may need to accept the fact that there's not going to be a relationship between you two, just like how I had to accept it for my situation.

It's going to be TOUGH (Oh gosh, it was so tough...), and yes there will be a lot of depressing moments, but I've learned that NO ONE is worthy of putting me through so much pain. No guy is worth brooding over if it's going to give you heartache and physical ailments.

So just get out there. Find something that makes you happy, and find people to share that happiness with, and you will slowly be able to live without thinking about him.

#3 Steve FS, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's best if you stop following his online status, and you may need to actually remove his contact info if necessary. It's good you moved to Berlin, and it sounds like a great time to start looking for new friends if your old friends didn't fully accept you. It can be hard for an introvert to make new friends, but it's not impossible. Try looking for groups or clubs that do things you are interested in.

Also, if you are feeling hopeless/sad for a long time and that is seriously impacting the quality of your life, you might also consider talking to a counselor. You don't need to go through this alone.

5. dembendlledl4li

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the respones and love guys!

I'm back from Berlin now as my internship is over. I need to stay here till next May to finnish my study. After that i will move to a Bigger city to study again and make new friends. Thought of Amsterdam or Berlin. I had a great time there and being busy got my mind free from this.