1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help! in love with my "straight" friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by HoustonAtlanta, Oct 24, 2015.

1. HoustonAtlanta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello, this is going to be rather long, but I need advice if possible. I am a 23 year old, closeted bisexual male, (never had sexual intercourse with a male though), who has fallen for my "straight" friend who is 23 too.

We've been knowing each other for about 4 years, but the feeling started about 1 year and a half ago. One night, after his football game which was an away game, we had went to a club afterwards, and we both had been drinking heavy. So I was about to go back to my hotel, but he was like "no you can stay at my hotel if you want, i dont want you driving home drunk bro." And I was like cool. so when we got to his hotel, I was expecting 2 beds, but it was only one bed, so I laid on the floor...then he said "no man here you can sleep in the bed, and do you need some clothes to sleep in?"... i replied with a "no im good", and got in the bed. Meanwhile in my head, im like why is he offering me his bed and clothes to sleep in as if im a girl hes trying to pursue? lol...but anywho, i thought he was going to take the floor since he offered the bed, but right in front of me he began to take off all his clothes, leaving only his boxers on, and got in the same bed with me. I didn't think nothin of it because i know football players strip in front of each other all the time, but for this occasion i thought it was rather weird. Basically that night, we slept the night away, he put a pillow in between us...so once again i didn't think it was anything sort of just a real close friendship.

Fast-forward to about a month later, he came in town to train for the pros and when he got here, we hung out the first night and we had been drinking again. of course he offered me his hotel, and once again we slept in the same bed. BUT this time, i wanted to try him up to see if hed do something to push me away. Hes a VERY athletic guy, so i was super nervous to make this move, but i laid my head on his chest as he was sleep, and he didnt move. So in that very moment, thats where my feeling started to develop for him. He was training here for about a month and I basically slept at his hotel every other night until he got ready to leave. 2 days before it was time for him to leave, we laid in the same bed and watched a 30 minute documentary on his phone, and just the vibe felt so good. I had a strong feeling he felt the same attraction because of the several hotel sleep overs weve had.

So the day he got ready to leave, (i dont know why i did this), but he was the first person i told i was bisexual, and i also told him i had developed feelings toward him. He then said "i kind of figured you liked me just because of how you interact with me. Im straight bro but Im not the one to judge anybody. Thank you for letting me know man, i wont think of you any different." Then i brought up the invites to sleep over in his hotel bed, and he replied with "bro, i just invited you over because you had been drinking and i didnt want you out there driving like that." So i was like cool bro. At that point my feelings were torn apart, as i was rejected and he "supposedly" didnt feel the same.

Being that hes a football player, you would think he wouldve not hit me up after i told him i was bi, and liked him. Little do you know the next day he missed his flight, so he had to get a hotel for one more night. He invited me over there AFTER i told him everything and we slept in the same bed again. This time we were talking in the dark, and he said "i mean you laid your head on my chest, its not like im gonna push you off..its cool. If you wouldve tried anything sexual I wouldve lightly pushed you but i mean laying your head on my chest, its whatever." Then i said, "i never have done anything sexual with a male so you aint gotta worry about me trying to touch your jimmy lol"... thats when he was like "shut up man and go to sleep lol".... At that point i realized either A. he has some interest in me hes just not wanting to open up to me about it, or B. Hes really comfortable around and enjoys me as a friend. Either way i felt good because i told him my deepest secret and he still treats me no different.

Now heres where more feelings began to develop. After he left, we would text and video chat every week. He'll send light emojis and i'll do the same. He'll say "I love you bro" on several occasions and i would say it back. Everything just felt so right and still does.

Now here it is, the month of October and he flew in town again. This time for the 3 weeks hes been here, hes been staying at my apartment. Hes been very touch feely. Hell put his hand on my shoulder, hell pull my hair, when i was walking out the door once he pulled my shirt, he pushed me in the clothes rack at walmart lol...you know just flirty things. One day were were walking down the steps headed out to eat, and when he got to the bottom, he was like wait..jump from the 4th step, and jump into my arms i want to see if i can catch you. Im like ok man he must like me for real because this has gone too far. the other night i massaged his shoulders and started slowly massaging his pecs, and HE DIDNT MOVE! he started closing his eyes and he said "im in love im in love im in love." not sure what he meant by that, but yea lol. hes made me breakfast once morning, he didnt bring it to the bed, but he woke me up and said, "i made you an omelette lil guy, get up and come eat". Also, he takes off all his clothes in front of me now (verses just the boxers in his hotel). He laid naked on my bed one time and i laid next to him with my clothes on, on my computer. Also, Every time we go to dinner, hell pay for my portion. Man i could go on and on, hell rub me on my head and ask me whats wrong. Hell always include me in his future plans. hell say things like "Man if i get drafted im gonna fly you here". All the girls he talks to, hell tell me they are just "friends".

We got into an argument one night about the bible. He said he cant see himself kissing another male because its considered a sin. And i stated to him that having sex with a female outside of marriage is also a sin. I stated to him that there is no greater sin. Anywho i got super mad and walked out and slammed the door. About an hour later, he came in my room and said, "so you gonna get mad over something petty like this? well fine be mad, just know i wont ever get mad at you for nothing like this." then the next morning, i said good morning and we were back speaking again. I have laid on top of him and fell asleep (in which he says he doesn't remember, but hes lying because we were both wide awake). I have put my head under the covers and we have touched nose to nose (not kiss) and he didnt push me away.

Finally, you know at the start of this story...i told him i liked him...but fastforward to this morning, i told him i am in love with him!!, and damn near cried. He said, "youre telling me stuff i already know, its cool...youre like a brother to me. i don't think you like me, i just think youre looking for a companion and im looking for the same."

So what do you guys make out of this?? I have done everything to stray him away...told him my sexuality, touched him, confessed my love for him, yet hes STILL my friend! shoot even closer than ever now because he knows about me and STILL is touchy feely, and is super nice to me. Its almost like were in a beginning stages of a relationship without a title if that makes sense.

My thing is, i don't want sex from him (not right now) because im scared and new to it too. What i do want is for him to open up and trust me. like i cried a little when i told him about me, and i feel its unfair that he wont just keep it real with me. Im not going to ask him is he bi because its not my place to pressure anybody. But if he likes me, i just wish he would say it...and im sure he has feelings for me, he just wont admit. I know hes a football player and it would ruin his reputation or people would look down on him...but as a closeted male, i feel like hes battling what im battling, and it would be a great feeling if we can go through it together.

He has one more week here guys before he leaves again. what should i do next? i want to try and kiss him (even with the bible talk we had) for some reason i dont think he would push me away. but how do i initiate it. He knows i like him, and am in love with him...and he still shows light affection...so what should i do next?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may be interested to know that a British study of university age, straight guys found that 98% had shared a bed with a male friend. That's right - 98%! Here is an article 93 Percent Of Straight Men In This Study Said They've Cuddled With Another Guy with links to the study. Additionally, many of the guys admitted to cuddling and spooning. Make of it what you will (I'm not entirely convinced myself), but when I read the first half of your message I didn't immediately think that your friend is secretly gay or bisexual just because he'd shared a bed with you. Rather, I thought that he is a chilled out guy who is comfortable with himself and with you.

The second half of your posting does raise a few questions, I admit, BUT, there is still no conclusive proof of anything more, so you must tread carefully.

Very few people are 100% straight or 100% gay and it's very normal to have moments or periods of curiosity. The interest that you have shown in your friend may well have piqued his own curiosity and opened his mind to what it might mean to be with a person of the same sex, but it doesn't mean he is ready or willing to take things to another level in any significant or meaningful way.

I would urge you to be patient and just see how things develop without pushing your friend. Only he can decide if he is willing to have a more intimate relationship with you and on what terms.

3. Trooper

I think you need to stop what you're doing. Even if he has feelings for you (which I think is the least likely option from your description), he clearly isn't ready to admit to that. You could get very hurt and lose your friendship in the process if you take this too far. So be careful.

Basically this. If you keep some distance from him, he will come to you if there's anything there (but even then he may only want you as a friend).

#3 Trooper, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  4. Afterfshn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Reading your story i would think he is All in to you but is not ready to accept the facts he likes a guy. Like no offense but why does he wants spend so much time with you and in THE same bed. Why isn't he chasing hoes? You know what I mean.Theres a big change he likes you but you have to be patiënt i guess and be carefull. But kissing him is not a good idea, make him Kiss you. Not the other way around.

I'm in the same situation. He pulls me close and than act All weird again. He treats me like i'm a girl. When we are in group setting we stare deep in each other eyes. I feel like he has to feel it too. I'm kinda on a dead end I dont know what to do anymore. Should i move on or have patience? Like its sucking the life out of me

5. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey man, I would say back off him and give yourself some space to find out what you both want. Go to some gay venues and find other guys to hang out with and get some dates in too. You don't have to stop being his friend, you just habe to stop obedding over him before it tears you apart inside

6. Nicosa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This things never lead to a happing ending. I would try to move on and shift my fixation somewhere else. Don't give him the cold shoulder though, just try to get yourself as your first priority :slight_smile:.

7. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm in the same situation.
    And it is quite maddening at times.

8. daramor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I recently went through a similar situation. Be careful and protect your heart because even though you're ready doesn't mean he is ready. Sadly, he also could just like the attention. I hope it works out man.

9. HoustonAtlanta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    True I understand. Yesterday when we're were sort he facetime'd me and said "I miss you." He says "I miss you" often. And also one day he was sleep, and he jumped out his sleep and said..."are you ok? I was worried about you." So I dunno...I think it's some feeling there

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 09:43 PM ----------

When we were apart*

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 09:45 PM ----------

Yup he's has plenty of opportunities to talk to females here, but he won't go spend the night the night with them. He always says "don't worry that's just a friend"

10. Afterfshn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When you guys have dinner is it like a date or?
    And what are you planning to do now?

11. HoustonAtlanta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's like hell invite me on a date indirectly. For example..he knows my favorite restaurant is Red Lobster. On Valentine's Day he was like "what's up bro, what you got up for today?" And I said nothing much. Then he said "I was gone see if you wanted to go to red lobster today.?" And I was like yeah. So when we got there and ate, he told the waiter to put the food on his tab.

This man knows me in and out and is still flirting. Like yesterday I showed him a DM of a guy trying to talk to me, and he was like..."dang you so fine that you got both sexes trying to get at you! I see you boy!" Lol. Then when we got in the house, he slapped me on my ass smh and was like get to work guy.

Also one time I was facetiming a guy that was a friend. And when I did that he got up and went in the other room and closed the door. He never does anything like that so I kinda came off a jealousy.

So I'm thinking he is supppppeerrrr comfortable with me....or he likes me and is hiding his confusing feelings. We are super close so I doubt if he's going anywhere. My thing is I just want him to trust me. I opened him up to a part of my life that was very hard for me to open up to him about, and it set me free because now I can be my normal self around him, so I wish he'd just do the same...it's doing nothing but hurting him. All these girls dun hit him up since he's been here and he only hung out with one...and they didn't even have sex, he fell asleep smh. And not to mention he hasn't had a girlfriend since 12th grade and he's almost 24.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 09:02 AM ----------

Kind of came off as jealousy*

12. Afterfshn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Omg you guys are so cute, didn't people at the restaurant thought you were a couple? Like no guy is going to ask another guy out to a restaurant on valentines day. That is just weird, you know what I mean?

Well, my guy on valentine's show up at my door with take out. He said his date stood him up so he just wanted someone to eat with. He even gave me the flowers he bought but its like really weird that day before he asked me which flowers I would like if someone gave me flowers.

But yeah like all these stories don't make sense, he has to be in love with you. He goes a extra mile for you , every time. But were you and that guy flirting on facetime that he walked out or?

Maybe you should put him to the test! Make up a story that you are going on a date and see how he reacts. Also be like really excited and tell him it was the best date and that your date chose your favorite restaurant red lobster. Maybe he will say something like that he always takes you to red lobster too or he will talk shit about your date. Thats kinda a big hint. I know it's not the best advice but it will help figuring him out.

I think we are in the same boat. So many mixed signals its driving me insane. People always tell on EC to keep your mind off it, but its so hard.

13. HoustonAtlanta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Well as far as my friend that was on FaceTime with me, he's straight...but my friend was like "my birthday tomorrow, what you gonna buy me." And when he said that, he got up and went in the other room and closed the door.

Yup and I agree it's so hard. Well wait for confirmations even when hey show all the signs lol

14. Afterfshn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hahaa I see, 'jealousy in the air tonight, i can tell' *drake's voice*

My guy wants me to come over and play this drinking game, just the two of us. Isn't that weird on a Tuesday at 10pm. Like does he want me to get drunk? I don't know what to text him back.

Are you still planning to kiss him than? Well keep us updated, I want to know everything

15. HoustonAtlanta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    lol I say text him back and go for it.

As for me though, I think I'm going to take the first guys advice and fall back...and enjoy him as a friend. I'm trying my best to get over him because I'm not able to live my life thinking about him. I mean it's cool he's in the NFL or whatever. But all these mixed signals, and him texting all these girls makes me angry.

16. Afterfshn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Omg shut up you are dating a NFL player, so you are almost a WAGS. Hahha i'm kidding!

Well I eventually didnt go anymore I have al these exams to prepare for. When i'm At his place i never catch any sleep because of all those thoughts in my head.

Yeah, thats probably the best way to protect yourself, Maybe you should dating. Time will tell if your NFL player (haha lol) has feelings for you and is willing to act on it. I know what you mean by him texting all those girls. They are thirsty AF

#16 Afterfshn, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  17. Distant Echo

Some slow dancing should sort it out once and for all. Hold him close and see if he 'reacts' :grin:

18. SumitaSofat

SumitaSofat Guest

You should stop this.... when you come to know about him that he is having feelings for you then you should follow him...

19. HoustonAtlanta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Stop what? I'm not doing anything. Only thing I've done is being touchy feely with him...but Hes been touchy feely with me 1000 times more than I have. I get what you're saying but my thing is being that he's a football player, he'd probably NEVER open up about his feelings. Think about it....there are 250+ football players drafted each year....and out of the history of American football, all these years and only 14 have came out.....so he'd probably never admit to his feelings.

If anything I am the one hurting not him. I already told him I'm in love with him, yet he still is touchy feely, will say he loves me, will include me in his future etc. not saying I want to be in a relationship with the man, but I do want him to open up to me like I opened up to him. Because when I first told him my feelings, he was like "I'm not the one to judge but you're still cool with me. I won't look at you any different. I'm just a cool guy, a lot of people have come out to me." I hate when people say I'm not the one to judge because it makes it seem as if being gay or bi is wrong, or a disease or something.

It just seems to me that "I'm not the one to judge" he's just using that to cover up himself because he does waaaaayyyyyyyyyy to much flirting. But as long as we still have that close friendship I'm ok with waiting til he says something like you said I guess.

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Earlier in the thread you mentioned having a disgreement with him about the Bible and that may be just as significant. I don't know if he comes from a religious family, but if he has grown up around people who think it's wrong to be gay he will have to deal with all of that too. Trust me, those anti-gay, religious comments can have a deeply shaming effect on a person and even if they are able to accept and love other people who are gay, it may be too much of a step for them to admit to such feelings (assuming they are present) themselves.

Your coming out has probably made him wonder what it might be like to have a relationship with another guy and he may be testing his own boundaries out of curiousity, but that's not to say he is ready or willing to have a relationship.

Even if he does allow himself to be more intimately involved with you, there is no guarantee that he will want a relationship on the same terms as you, so I stand by my previous comments about waiting to see how things develop. Be careful not to allow yourself to get too invested in the idea of romance with him though, because that may never happen.