1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not enjoying going out as much since coming out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lafemmedargent, Oct 29, 2015.

1. lafemmedargent

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I started University 1 month ago and I was so excited to meet other lesbians and be out. However I went to my first ever LGBTQ meeting and there were only 30 people there and it's slowly gone down to about 10 now. I've also gotten to know most of them a lot better and none of them interest me in that way . They're mostly just good friends, not love interests.

However I have seen a few girls that have girlfriends and I'm just wondering how they meet them? As I never seem to meet gay people ever. I don't really look forward to going out as much now because before it was always exciting to the possiblity that I may meet someone but now there is just no one, and I'm feeling quite jealous cause a lot of my straight friends have boyfriends now and are in couples or they're meeting guys on nights out. Whereas every night for me now is being a wingman or just a gal pal night or girly night in.

All I'm asking is, does this get better or will being a lesbian mean that I have very little chance of having any dating life at University?

Also I'd like to add that I've joined a few societies and haven't yet met any other LGBTQ ( that I know of)

2. Kaboom

Unfortunately, you're going to have a harder time finding dates vs your straight female friends. Straights are everywhere haha. LGBTQ meetings are a great start. The friends you make there could potentially introduce you to someone they know. Broaden your gay social circle :lol: that made me giggle a little.

The possibility is still there! Don't obsess over it too much. Make new friends and socialize. It will happen.

3. Airplane

No, being lesbian doesn't affect your chances of dating.

I'm as straight as you can get, and I can't even get a girlfriend :frowning2:

4. lafemmedargent

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Surely though as a straight male you'll still meet girls that are statistically more likely to be straight, and may have a possible interest in you. Whereas if I'm looking for a girl she has to be into girls too, which narrows down the field quite a bit :dry:

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2015 at 12:51 AM ----------

Yeh I think this is just the case. Haha trouble is a lot of my gay friends are freshmen too and don't know any other gays it's mostly at my place where they meet other people, but hey I could be the reason for other people getting together so at least that's something! Yeh it's just difficult not to think about it when your friends around you seem to have active love lives and your looking at your love life that's a as dry as the desert.:confused:

5. Kaboom

I know the feeling. I have had plenty of dry spells myself. Keep doing what you're doing though. You'll meet more and more people. Being out to my family and friends helped a lot. I actually met my last girlfriend through my sister, they worked together. The more people you know, the more people you're out to, the better your chances. To meet someone truly special though, it's not all that easy for anybody period. I hear ya though, it would be nice to at least just get an f'n date, huh? :lol:

Stay positive! Good things will come your way!

6. Really

Does your lgbtq meeting do activities? Maybe you could suggest/organize an outing to a roller derby or other lesbian-friendly event. Queer film festival? Go as a group but get a chance to meet others, too.

Silver Lady. :wink:

7. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with everything Kaboom & Really said.

No one said it was gonna be easy. It's still possible. It may be harder, but no doubt still possible. You shouldn't stress over it too much. When you are not looking, you can meet people in the most unlikely of places. Don't think that every person you meet could potential be someone to date. Just get to know people and that can lead to meeting more people.

And don't stay in, because then how you gonna meet someone? I'm only kidding, but just don't get down on yourself. It just takes time. Stay positive. Okay.

8. lafemmedargent

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know the feeling. I have had plenty of dry spells myself. Keep doing what you're doing though. You'll meet more and more people. Being out to my family and friends helped a lot. I actually met my last girlfriend through my sister, they worked together. The more people you know, the more people you're out to, the better your chances. To meet someone truly special though, it's not all that easy for anybody period. I hear ya though, it would be nice to at least just get an f'n date, huh? :lol:

Stay positive! Good things will come your way![/QUOTE]

You're right, I am it already feels better just being out. It's just now that having gone through all of that, I wish that there was something going on. It's like woah.. I'm lesbian what? Oh better get down to finding those girls, oh wait there's no one :dry:

haha yehhh it would be nice! I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Hahaha yehh it would be so nice to go on a date in so long

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2015 at 02:02 PM ----------

Yes they do! However like I said it's mostly all the people I know already that go or people bring their straight flatmates xD which my friend hit on one time cause she didn't know, haha. It is good though cause I am making a great group of friends (&&&) so I guess I'll just have to go to most of them in hopes that a newcomer will turn up!

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2015 at 02:06 PM ----------

Yeh I think I'm just stressing so much cause all my gal pals are finding guys at the moment and I'm seeing them cook together and go on dates. Yeh I don't think that way anymore, haha just starting to see everyone as straight and friends. Yeh it's not that I'm staying in, it's just that I've never met any gay person just out. The only people I've met have been in the LGBTQ society and like I said before we're all friends.

9. Gabriel2

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    We're in the same exact boat, I have no idea what to do at this point. I guess seeing if any of your straight friends or family members, or anyone knows someone you could date.

10. DominantLezStud

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel as though I am in the same boat. I'm a stud and I get hit on by men a lot. I'm not sure what more I can do to show people I'm gay, I already have a rainbow tattoo on my arm LOL. Hopefully it will get better for you!