1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Straight' friend giving off weird vibes

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by isaacisaacs22, Oct 31, 2015.

1. isaacisaacs22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey new to this , just wanted to see what some of you thought about my current situation.

I understand you probably see hundreds of these each day and are probably sick of reading about these situations so I'll try to keep it succinct.

I've had a really close friend for about 3 years now we are both 19 and went to school together. I'm gay and out to a few people not the friend in question but I'm almost certain he implicitly knows that I am. Any way ever since we started to get really close I've been getting these mixed messages and vibes from him and I'm really not sure how to interpret them.

The things that are mainly confusing me include:

When ever we see each other we hug for extended periods of time (he doesn't mind doing this in front of friends and in public) and will often kiss me on the cheek or neck

He often messages me saying that he misses me and loves me and always sends x's or heart emojis when messaging me

Always gets really jealous when I talk to one specific other guy friend, for some reason he's always seen this guy as competition for my attention and will message me when he finds out I've been with this other guy saying things like "how was your time with him" or "go talk to him" things that indicate jealousy

We went overseas together with two other friends, he and I stayed in a room together and the two other guys in another, on the first night there as we were getting ready to go to bed he grabbed me, picked me up and forced me against the wall pressing his body against mine and just held me there for almost a minute staring into my eyes. Then just let me go and went to bed.

Always comes up and hugs me from behind wrapping his arms around my waist and either kisses me on the neck or whispers in my ear.

Always wanting to be touching me when we are together so like will just rest his arms on my shoulders from behind or place his hands on my knees when we are sitting down.

One time when we were at a party and both kind of drunk he came up to me and said that he's had people ask if we were a couple and to which I replied "haha I think we'd make a cute couple" all he said was yeah and then hugged me.

Whenever we see each other he's always keen to talk to me and will grab me and sit me down and we can talk for hours. He often when drunk tries to pry information about my sexuality out.

Always have my other friends joking around calling him my boyfriend

But on the other hand he's always shown an interest in girls, held 1 relationship with a girl for about 6 months but the rest have just been mainly fuck buddies for him.

He always talks to me about his girlfriends/fuck buddies and we have pretty deep conversations about how he feels towards certain girls which indicate to me that he's straight.

Tells me often when it's been a while since he's had sex, not sure if he wants me to offer my mouth or or if that's just what he does.

And he has a bit of a reputation with girls as a flirt.

I'm really close with his family and he likes that I am, so I don't wan't to do anything that could completely destroy our friendship. But I'd like to know if there could ever be anything real between us or if I'm actually insane and he's completely straight but just likes attention. I've become attached to straight friends before but never like this, I do think we'd make a cute couple and can honestly see a future with him. But I do t want to continue wasting time thinking that he may actually love me when he is really just a close friend.

Thank you for reading, I really appreciate your time and welcome any comments or insights you may have.

#1 isaacisaacs22, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you considered the possibility that he might be bisexual? He sounds very bisexual.

#2 RawringSnake, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  3. Superconffused

I also agree that he sounds bisexual. I say that because other than the kissing, which I will start to do, I pretty much do all the above things to my best friend and I'm bi and have a crush on him as well. I would say have talk with him and don't be phony man. Be real and tell him the truth. He won't leave u I don't think. But yeah my advice is to have that conversation.

4. robclem21

Why don't you just explicitly come out to him? If you are out to many people and he keeps trying to pry it from you what is the reason you are holding back? It seems like you don't have a problem expressing your sexuality to people so why not start there with him? I think before you start to ask about his feelings, that might be a good start.

Then, you can probably start to pry about some other things like have you ever thought about doing anything with a guy.. etc. The "are you gay" is usually a good way to get people to shut down and not say anything cause its very confrontational, but lighter questions may be helpful.

He sounds like he may be interested and tbh, 6 months is not a long relationship. But then again I've been wrong before. Best just to talk to him since this situation seems relatively risk free.