1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for love on dating apps?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nothereanymo, Nov 5, 2015.

1. nothereanymo

What are your views on using location based dating apps to look for the love of your life?

As anyone had luck? Or do you think these apps only work for one night stands and such?

#1 nothereanymo, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
  2. CameOutSwinging

I know people who have had success, both straight and gay. I think it's like anything else. You put yourself out there, you increase your chances of meeting people.

3. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met my girlfriend on a popular dating app. I know many people use these apps and sites looking for hookups so you have to be very clear and specific about what you want. If you are looking for a relationship, don't settle for a hookup thinking that it may turn into something more. If that person is not serious about looking for someone to date and be in a relationship with, they will use you and lose you.

I've used dating sites to meet new friends, and potential partners. You just have to be careful. Always meet in public during the day. Don't let them know where you live till you have met and are comfortable with telling them those things.

I've had good luck, but it took me a while because I was very picky and wasn't willing to settle for someone I didn't see myself with long term. I think it was a good way to meet people that I would not have otherwise crossed paths with.

#3 taken, Nov 5, 2015
  4. DominantLezStud

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been lucky at all. I don't think a lot of women in my area are looking for a stud. And I've never heard of some of them. I'm always so lost. Lol

#4 DominantLezStud, Nov 5, 2015
  5. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Location dating apps, straight or gay, get a bad rep in my opinion. There are plenty of people on them actually looking for relationships, you just have to be clear as to what you're looking for.

#5 Runner5, Nov 5, 2015
  6. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Continuing off what Runner5 said. I just think that there is a misconception of using those apps, because you hear a few stories about people's bad experiences on them or that they can never find someone who wants to be in a relationship, then all of a sudden they're bad. Not saying those issues don't happen, but my logic is that if you decided to join one of those apps for a certain reason, then someone else joined for the exact same reason. I've known quite a few people who had really great success through online dating.

While I've never done online dating myself, I think if one was to ever go on you just have to be responsible and keep in mind that there will always be a few bad seeds. Plus online dating isn't for everyone.

7. Kaboom

One of the most popular apps has the reputation for being all about hookups. My friend's roommate is always getting girls from there. One of my ex's female friends got on there for a rebound relationship and found a guy looking for the same.

It's all about finding someone looking for the same things you are. Like what Swinging said; you put yourself out there to more and more people, the better your chances. And I agree with Dragon. Someone may have the same exact reasons for joining up as you. BUT people use them for different reasons. You'll have to filter through all that.

As far as my opinion on it... I think dating sites/apps are really efficient :lol: I haven't ever used them, but I can see the appeal.

#7 Kaboom, Nov 10, 2015
  8. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've tried similar apps and I personally haven't been successful. Even though some guys say they're not looking for hookups, their actions say otherwise. I known some people have been successful with finding LTR on these apps. Finding true love on a hookup app is kind of like trying to find a needle in a haystack: It's possible but you're better off searching elsewhere.

#8 lastking, Nov 11, 2015
  9. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You have to join a quality app and spend a lot of time filtering the rotten matches. Apps where all you're given is a picture and a biography just won't cut it (from my experience).

10. casper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is very possible to find a really nice person on those apps! I personally never had any succes but lots of my friends have found there boyfriend on there and have been dating for a few months now!! So just give it a try! If it isn't your thing you can just uninstall it but perhaps you find a really cool person on it!

11. BookWriter1994

Okay, I have been using well-known dating apps for a long while. I like using those apps because I am mostly shy and I thought I could actually find someone on those sites. It is a great way to meet someone. However, I did met a few guys who turned out to be jerks in the end and for some reason stopped talking to me.

But I do still believe that I could find someone on there and I just need to be patient. but being patient is not my strong suit lol

#11 BookWriter1994, Nov 12, 2015