1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need opinions on this

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Libra Neko, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have clear memories of being molested by my father, but I think I may have been. We all used to go in the jacuzzi, naked, my father, my sister and me. So he had every opportunity. My father is an alcoholic and has some traits of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I wouldn't put this past him. Unfortunately, my mother is blindly in love with him; she's also a heavy drinker and has said she will not leave him. My mom is my best friend though, so if I want her in my life, he has to be too.
    Anyways, my therapist told me if I was molested, I'd have clear memories of it. She says it didn't happen. I've been seeing her for 14 years. Is she right? I don't know, am curious what others think.

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What make you think you have ?

The brain has a tendency to make selective memory and can easily wipe out memories that are related to some kind of trauma such as sexual assault as a cope out thing. Personally for me it has always been the opposite, I have lost most of my good childhood memories and only remember the bad moments ( which sucks) but what has happened to me doesn't make it a generality, I know many get post-traumatic memory loss so wouldn't be surprised if it had happened to you.

To be fair molestation claims are heavy so they have to be backed up by some facts as it can definitely ruin lives.

3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I wonder about my childhood because my sister and I were both super-sensitive as kids and both developed mental illness. Also, sometimes I am totally asexual. And maybe that would make sense as a reason as to why I've never had an orgasm. I wouldn't put this past my father.
    I know I wasn't raped or anything, I just think there could easily have been some touching that isn't appropriate.

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the thing is, all the things you have mentioned aren't actually proof nor do they give any evidence that such thing could have happened to you. A lot of people happen to be either sensitive, mentally ill (or both) without having been molested or sexually assaulted. It's also pretty common for women not to reach orgasm ( I think I have read somewhere that a ridiculous 80% of women will never manage to orgasm through penetration only, so that may be the reason for you). Your temporary asexuality could be due to a lot of things : hormones and drop in libido (pretty common for all of us) or, since you said you suffered some kind of mental illness, medicine-induced as a lot of medicine can impact someone's libido and sex drive, or maybe you simply don't have a high sex drive. There is nothing wrong with that.

Of course all of those things could be consequences of some kind of sexual abuse but they aren't proofs and without proof (as such) or memories of the event, nobody can affirm that you have ever been molested, and I am saying this as someone who have been molested. There is obviously no way for me to affirm that you haven't (and I don't pretend to) but there is also no way for me to say that you have, unless you have stronger evidences.

How was your dad with you ? Was he ever weird with you ? did he say stuff that sounded weird to you ? did he have gestures that made you feel uncomfortable ? Those are the things that you have to ask yourself because that's probably where the evidences lie.

sorry I can't be more helpful but like I said, those are big accusations and I don't know your father so it's a delicate subject.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to agree with your therapist. It is possible for us to block off certain painful feelings and emotions, but most people who have been sexually abused tend to have vivid memories and flashbacks for months and years afterwards.

You say there could easily have been some touching that was inappropriate, but it doesn't sound like you are entirely certain about it. When you say there could have been, what exactly do mean by that... do you remember a specific incident, or time when something actually took place?

6. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I just remember playing games with us all together, all naked. I'm not sure how inappropriate it was, but it was quite possibly pervy. Also, my father used to tease me when I was changing that he was going to come into the room.
    Also, I started menstruation and puberty really young: age 9. I was having sexual fantasies at 10.
    I appreciate all the feedback. In a way, I don't want to blame my father for all my problems; it's not like I can block him out of my life.

7. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the playing game all naked is definitely odd (do you remember how old you were, what kind of game and when did it stop ? ) but I know some families are naturist or comfortable being naked around their children so the parents push their kids to live naked as well (without any perversion behind). Have you asked your mom about that ?

You said that he teased you he would get in the room when you changed but did he ever ? Someone that want to molest you will come in the room, pretend to be helping you out and molest you right there and then, he would not just tease to do it.
    Also I tease my little brothers a lot that I'll get into the room or bathroom when they change or shower because I know it makes them freak and hide and I find it hilarious. I definitely do NOT want to molest them in anyway nor would I actually get in and watch them. I just find how shy they are about their body amusing and like to tease them about it. Maybe your father is the same ? The difference would be in whether or not he got into the room one day and whether or not he tried to be inappropriate at some point.

Early puberty isn't rare (it's actually becoming more frequent) as my grandma had her period at age 9 as well, I am pretty sure I had fantasies at age 10 and was discovering my body and so on, I too think it's pretty common and that tend to be why kids that age tend to try and want to experiment with other kids.

I am not trying to make excuses for your father or anything since as I said the playing naked was odd but there could be great explanation as well as very bad ones so I am trying to give you another perspective in case this one could fit.

Why do you feel now so obsessed over this though ? How would it change your life to know ? (just curious)

8. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure why I'm obsessed. Maybe I want there to be a root to my problems.
    No, I don't remember him coming in.
    As for the games, we'd be in the jacuzzi, and he'd have us on his lap and I don't remember anything else.

9. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think I know what you're going through. I feel like when I was younger, I may have been touched inappropriately, or did something inappropriate to another person. The feelings of molestation are there, but I can't quite summon the memories.

When I was younger, about... maybe 4 or 5, my dad had a family friend living with us. He was very nice and kind and he would take care of me all the time, but I can remember vaguely the feeling of being really physically close with him. And.. maybe some touching while we slept in bed... I don't know. I can't quite remember. It is frustrating.

10. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess one of the reasons I'm wondering this is because if my sister and I sat on his lap, and we were all naked, isn't that molesting?

11. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Molesting means he touched you in places he shouldn't have, if you don't remember him doing that then that can't really be molesting. It's definitely odd but some parents don't have any problems with nudity around their children, I don't know, what did your therapist told you about that ?

12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My therapist insists I wasn't molested. I want to believe her, but it would make sense if it happened, IMO.

13. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing isn't about it would make sense if I was or not, that's too big of a thing, and unfortunately I think that unless you have concrete proof you can't actually accuse someone of such an act.

You can feel free to grief for that though if you really feel like it happened. But I think no one could ever tell you that X happened without having nothing to base their accusation on.

14. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think even if I wasn't touched specifically, what we did was inappropriate and weird.
    I do think my parents must have made some mistakes; my sister and I are both mentally ill.

15. QBear

Truthfully, all parents make mistakes - but not all children develop mental illness.

That said, it sounds like it made you uncomfortable that you and your sister sat on your fathers lap while you were all naked. And that is significant, and you are allowed to be upset and uncomfortable about it, even though it may not have been molestation, per se. If it made you uncomfortable, it was still a boundary violation of some kind.

Did your father violate or ignore your person boundaries in other, non-sexual, ways?

#15 QBear, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  16. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing is, my memory of all that is really fuzzy. I remember that he would hold my sister and I on his lap and we'd play games of some sort. What sort, I'm not sure.
    I am aware that there are many contributing factors to mental illness and that all parents make mistakes.
    Do I remember my father violating me in any way? I'm not sure. Once again, fuzzy.

17. QBear

To be clear, I mean did your father make you uncomfortable in other, non-sexual, ways?
    These can also be emotional.

The reason I'm mentioning non-molestation things that made you feel uncomfortable is that parents can do things that are inappropriate that can be damaging without ever molesting you. My mother, for example, used to ask me you reassure her about her worth all the time when I was a young child, and it really screwed with my head, even though it was neither sexual abuse or overt emotional abuse. Not a prosecutable offense, by any means, but still something I had to work through with a counselor to overcome.

So, perhaps, even if your dad wasn't molesting you, he still may have frequently non-sexually touched you in ways that made you uncomfortable, maybe in ways that made you doubt your own body autonomy, and that created some issues for you and perhaps you need to work through.

At least something to consider.

18. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose there's reasonable doubt about molestation, but I do think us sitting on his lap was a little weird.
    And I didn't like how he would tease me about coming into my room while I was changing clothes.
    My father is a very hard person to get along with because he's grumpy when he can't drink, and his inhibitions are lowered when he is drinking. That's never good.

19. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose there's reasonable doubt about molestation, but I do think us sitting on his lap was a little weird.
    And I didn't like how he would tease me about coming into my room while I was changing clothes.
    My father is a very hard person to get along with because he's grumpy when he can't drink, and his inhibitions are lowered when he is drinking. That's never good.

20. QBear

I think you have every right to feel violated and angry about both the lap sitting and joking about coming into your room while changing. I'm sorry that he did that to you.