1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling for a straight boy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by guess who, Nov 10, 2015.

1. guess who

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've known this guy since 7th grade (I'm in 11th now) I guess I might have always liked him not knowing what it was. He basically made me realize I like men. The thing is he's straight and I don't think there is any wiggle room. I want to tell him how I feel but I don't want to lose him as a friend. Should I tell him? I wouldn't be expecting a relationship out of it, I just want to be honest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well.

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess it really depends on how he'll take it. Is he homophobic? Does he know that you're gay? Do you have a gut-feeling telling you that telling him this will ruin your friendship? There are just so many variables that can go with this.

I'll tell you how it turned out for me, being on both sides of a situation like this.

I had a female friend who admitted that she liked me. Me, being gay, I ended up distancing myself from her because I didn't want it to be awkward. Being around her suddenly turned into me walking on egg shells because I didn't want to do anything to appear attractive to her. We ended up getting into a little tiff. We're fine now, but the road to get to where we were was a little rough. I honestly haven't spoken to her for a couple of months.

With the second situation, I liked a guy, and he basically did the same thing when I told him - he distanced himself from me, leaving me pretty angry and distraught.

If you do want to tell him for your own sake of mind, make it clear that you're not going to make any advances toward him, or you might make him wary. Of course, I'd make it more casual instead of coming out and saying, "I'm gay and I like you!"

Maybe mention in one of your conversation, something like, "Any girl would be lucky to have you. Hell, if you were gay, I'd want to be with you."

He might find it flattering and not be so put-off.

#2 Steve FS, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  3. robclem21

If you are not hoping for anything to happen with him, then I don't really see anything good coming from telling him aside from complete transparency. Sometimes, things are better left unsaid and if its not really eating away at you to the point you can't function then this might be one of those situations where its better to just let it go and move on.

4. Superconffused

If your not going to do it I person I would suggest calling late at night and leaving a voicemail explaining everything you need to say and why it's important to you that he knows this about you. If he is a good and supportive friend he won't change at all and will embrace you