1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to connect w/ not quite out bi friend but I'm not out at all

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SHACH, Nov 16, 2015.

1. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Recently when talking about a girl in our school year who identifies as bisexual, my not-so-close friend said "Does she know about me? You (talking to another friend of mine) have kept that really quiet". I'm sitting there thinking "wtf did she just say she was bi... like me." I was having a mini heart attack mostly cos.. I think she hot :wink: Anway, this was sort of confirmed by another girl in our year saying that my friend told her that she was bi at a party this weekend. It sort of all confirms what I was thinking when she was telling me how her favourite poet (English student) is a woman who only wrote poems about women...

Anyway, so now I realised I have a friend who's (probably) bisexual too and I just wanna talk to her about that. The problems are 1. She's not really fully out so it's a bit random 2. I'm not out at all so she totally won't be expecting that and can I even deal with telling this pretty recent friend when I've only really hinted to my best friend? 3. I totally have an ulterior motive that I find her really attractive - her rapunzel-like hair, her tall curvy figure, her poetry, her rock music love, her squinty eyed cute smile, and talking about her eyes her eyelashes are wow... let's not rant but yeah I just feel if I brought being bi up she would totally notice that and I'd feel like a creep. Like.. it's so unlikely that she'd like me too. 4. Oh and yeah we aren't that close... and I barely know how to make serious conversation with someone unless I've either known them forever or if they start it.

I can really never say anything concisely sorry, but this was totally bugging me today, and then I came home and my mum was talking about how teenage girls get carried away with hormones and ranting about the idea of "bi-curious" she keeps hearing about being just a product of lower standards of morals in a modern age, which is just really unsettling to this closeted bi girl that I am and makes me wanna say stuff a whole lot less. This could almost be in the coming out section too haha.

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, this sounds like a difficult situation! As for your mum, she probably means well but... yeah. Needless to say that being bisexual has nothing to do with moral standards!

As for your new Bi friend, I totally get how tempting it is to be like "wow someone I actually know is going through the same thing as me" and then splurge all your feelings at them! It all comes down to how much you trust this new friend with what is (at the moment, at least) your secret. My feeling is that she'd probably know how you feel, and what it's like to be in the closet. Most LGBT+ people know what it's like to be in the closet at one stage or another. So in that respect I don't think she'd be creeped out.

I think you may have to make an effort to befriend her first so it's not just a one way conversation like "blah I'm bi and want to talk about it!". Maybe give her a text or a Facebook and strike up a conversation?

My other thought is if you're friends are accepting of this girl being bisexual, the likelihood is that they'll be fine with you being bisexual too. Just a thought. :slight_smile:

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The thing you said about my friends being supportive is totally true. I think my whole problem is that I moved schools last year and most of my friends I have this year I only became close to recently. So it feels like a bit much to start an emotional conversation with them when I can barely do that with people I've known all my life. As for my mum I just think she would laugh at me and since we argue all the time she would totally use it to poke fun at me and character assassinate me during every argument after. That seems excessively mean but she is totally the sort of person who doesn't beleive bisexuals exist and would probably think that I will get over it.

Yeah I need to work out how to get talking to this friend more. I don't need to send her a text, I see her every day and we have study periods in school together in this shared sixth form study area... (it's not like a library, it's only a few of us friends in there at any time and we choose if we're loud or quiet) but she always seems so foused so I don't dare start talking to her. We always have stupid short conversations or group conversations. I think I'll start going to the English department's movie night on Fridays I remember telling her I might do that. Then I would have something worth talking about. Though I should probably text her too. I always get on really well with the people I end up texting a lot.

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear ya! Moving to a new school and making friends feels like an upheaval at the best of times. You probably feel like you're still trying to fit in, so it's no wonder you don't want to make any big announcements! On the flip side though, it does sound like you've found some relatively cool people to hang out with.

Yeah, texting is so much easier than talking sometimes, isn't it? If she goes to this movie night, that could be your excuse to text her. "I want to go, but I'm nervous because I won't know anyone etc..." That'd be a sneaky one. :icon_wink Unless of course you do know people who go. In which case, boo.