1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Sure If People Fully Believe Me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Contact1111, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Basically, I am unsure if people in my family really believe me fully and are being accepting or if they are just in denial. Basically, my parents have said they'd be accepting of me if I was gay. At first, they didn't seem to think that was the case even though I was telling them that I am bi. However, they were saying they'd be accepting of me if I was gay and they'd wish me the best. Then, I gave them a note that made it very clear about my bisexuality. This did not really go so well, and they both made me very uncomfortable. They were saying that they were "accepting" and that they always wanted to be close with me. However, there was a certain tone of judgment and they were saying that they "weren't happy about it". A lot of this seemed to be fueled by misconceptions and stereotypes. My Mom was saying she associated it with orgies and promiscuous behavior. She thought that with this, it probably wouldn't go with a monogamous relationship and it sounded like she thought it would be more the way of orgies and sleeping around. The next day, I tried explaining otherwise. This was not totally successful, but they did come around a little bit in the evening. Still, it just seemed a bit off. Finally, I sent an email explaining what I was really trying to say. I basically just said that it's something I am in control of and I'm not "fighting" any intense urges (which is true). Basically, I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not any sort of sex maniac like they seemed to be associating it with. I just said that I have certain thoughts and ideas more than other people do. They seemed to think that what I'm describing sounded "common" and weren't uncomfortable with it anymore.

Even though I feel I've explained myself sufficiently, I still somewhat question if there is an element of denial that is hanging on. I'm thinking of just kind of starting it off with making kind of a joke about the whole orgy thing she was saying, and then just saying something like, "No, I'd never do that, like you obviously already know. Still, what I was saying before was true. It wouldn't make it any more likely that I'd not be able to be monogamous, because I feel that once your with somebody you don't get involved with anyone else no matter what. It's just a matter of not being one or the other exclusively, in terms of my own internal experience. Obviously, I don't see it as any sort of excuse to be less committed or to do any kind of impulsive encounters with anybody. I know who I am and what I think and feel. I just can't necessarily say with certainty what the ultimate direction of my life will be in terms of this, but I am fully aware and 100% sure about who I am in terms of my own experience. "

2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like they are coming around. Give them a little more time - bisexuality is in some ways harder than just being gay. Continue to lovingly correct them. I know it's hard when people stereotype :wink: