1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boyfriend is trans, doesn't want HRT

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by kompliziert, Nov 25, 2015.

1. kompliziert

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi all,

(I'm using male pronouns because he said I could and because that's what it's been for 6 years.)

My boyfriend of 6 years has always been very feminine, and has gone through depression and dysphoria. I figured he was non binary, but very recently it has been made apparent to me that he is a trans woman. Our sex life is usually dead, but lately has exploded because I've been making comments about his androgyny, and putting him in my dresses, and saying we'll go out with him passing and look like a lesbian couple. We've been talking about him eating lots of soy to feminize his lower body, which he wants. Like I said, I've always thought he was non binary, but his responses in the bedroom and his answers to my questions about his gender identity have made it clear that he is trans. I asked if he would miss his body or regret it if he became so feminine he could no longer pass as a man, and he said he wouldn't regret it at all, and he had the most sincere, blissful, rare smile on his face thinking about it. It's become so obvious that he is trans.

However, he doesn't want to transition, even though he hates his body and wants to be female. When I asked why, he said because it was too much commitment. But he seems miserable as a guy, and has really bad dysphoria that has affected him negatively his whole life. My heart is breaking and I am physically sick with worry because I want his happiness so badly, sick that I didn't realize it sooner even though there were so many signs, sick because he's been so sad his whole life, sick because I want his happiness and yet he is turning HRT down due to anxiety, not due to his own feelings and needs. And, I am also worried that, at any day in the future, he could decide to transition, and then we would need money and everything would change and I'm worried we both would have a hard time adjusting. And it would be so much easier if I KNEW he was going to transition, because then I could prepare myself mentally and get used to the idea. But right now, it's a double-whammy of "My love is miserable, has been his whole life, and yet isn't doing anything about it and will continue to be miserable," plus "I don't know if he'll transition, I don't know when he'll transition, and if he does absolutely everything will change and nothing will be certain and a million things could go wrong." What if it turns out that I can no longer find him sexy? I've never been into women before. What if he no longer finds me sexy? What if it puts such a huge strain on the relationship that we break up? Then I would lose the most important person in my entire life. But if he doesn't go through with it, the most important person in my entire life will always be miserable.

I'm just so torn and so sad and fearful. I wish he would do it, because I want him to be happy so badly and it breaks my heart to see him hating his physiological gender and presentation every single moment of the day, and at least then I would know what to plan for.

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww... (*hug*)

You really are sweet and I do hope you find happiness no matter what the future brings.

As your partner doesn't currently identify as trans I will use neutral pronouns. It does sound that they are most likely trans. If they are, they will probably need to go through a relatively long process of acceptance before they are ready to transition. Transitioning usually only happens when a person understands that if they don't do it, it means their death. The cost of transitioning is extremely high and it takes a huge toll on yourself and others. Unfortunately, if they are trans then you are right to be concerned about them as gender dysphoria can't be wished away, it grows until you can't cope anymore with it. I'm glad that you give them the freedom to express their femininity, it really helps to relieve dysphoria and it is probably one of the reasons they feel comfortable enough in his body to not feel the need to start HRT.

Truthfully, it sounds like you will be able to cope if they eventually decide to transition and even if you won't feel sexually attracted to your now female partner, you will still have your love and remain connected through it and as such you will never really lose them. Transitioning doesn't mean losing who you were, it means accepting who you've been all along, it means becoming the person that you were meant to be all along. It can take time for a person to figure out who they are, so all you can do is be patient and be there for them when and if your partner chooses to transition. Your love and seeing them for who they are is all a person can hope for and you are wonderful for caring in such a way about them. (*hug*)

We can never know what the future will bring, our lives are fragile and knowing to appreciate what we do have, the love and connections that we have made over our life time; those moments of happiness that remind us how beautiful life can be. You are on a journey together with your partner and every day that passes is one more moment in time that you have lived, breathed and shared together as one.

Much hugs and if you ever need to talk feel free to message me,

(&&&)

Eveline

3. kompliziert

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you so much for the reply and for your kindness, it has really helped.

I would do and support absolutely anything they wanted. They've been truthfully the best part of my life, and I can't imagine life without them. They've been my best friend and my love and my support, and now I just keep thinking back over everything that's happened the last 6 years, everything I know about them, and the gender dysphoria is now so obvious that it's truly painful to realize they have been in so much pain and getting no help or support. I was supposed to support them, but I was too blind. I wish I had figured it out sooner. I could have helped them come to terms with it, showed them I still loved them. Then maybe they could have felt more comfortable and transitioned, we could have planned things differently, and they would be happy right now.

My partner hasn't been expressing themselves femininely for most of the 6 years, but now that I know, I want to help ease that dysphoria, whether they want to transition or not. I'm hoping that it would help if I encourage wearing women's clothes. They are very shy about their body and hesitant to break out of the normal gender role, but I think if I support them enough, be patient, and not push them, maybe they could at least start feeling comfortable being a woman at home. I just want their happiness, I want whatever's best for them.

Thank you so much for your kind words and hugs.

#3 kompliziert, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015